Light polarization (lab questions)

In summary: If there's only one filter and it's completely polarized, then the light is said to be fully polarized. If there are two filters, and one is partially polarized, then the light is partially polarized. And if the two filters are not polarized at all, then the light is said to be completely unpolarized.
Foxhound101

Homework Statement

I just have a few of questions about light polarization. We never discussed polarization in class, so I am slightly confused on a couple of questions.

For the Experiment we used polarization filters. If I understood the difference between partially and completely polarized light, that would help a lot.

1) Was the light emerging from the first polarization filter polarized?
2) What did you observe when you viewed the light through the analyzer?
3) How can you tell if the light is partially or completely polarized?
4) What did you observe about light that is reflected off of a surface?

*Look in the direction that is 90 degrees from the sun, and rotate the filter*

5) Is the light from the sky partially polarized? How can you tell? Would you describe the light as totally or partially polarized?
6) Explain the atmospheric scattering and describe how the light from the sky becomes polarized
7) Explain why polarized sunglasses are useful. Why is there a law limiting the percent polarized (about 95% in prescription sunglasses.

Homework Equations

NONE

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have so far...
1) Yes
2) Less light is able to get through the filter.
3) I don't know...unless completely polarized light means no light gets through...which requires 2 filters.
4) There is less glare.

5) The light is polarized, but I have no idea if it is partially or completely
6) no idea
7) Polarized sunglasses can be used to reduce glaring, which makes it easier to see. I assume if the glasses have 100% polarization, then no light gets through...which means you can't see.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone explain to me the difference between partially and completely polarized light?

Completely polarized means that *every* photon in the light beam has the same polarization. Or, more operationally, there is one polarization filter that would let *all* of the light go through.

Partially polarized light does not quite have these properties.

So in that case, would that mean that one filter has complete polarization and 2 filters is partial polarization?

I don't know what "one filter has complete polarization" means. Light has polarization, the filter doesn't "have" polarization. Nor do I know what "2 filters is partial polarization" means.

And now I got to run...sorry.

Thanks for trying to help me.
Hm...let me try and be a little bit more clear.

What I was trying to say, is the light passing through a single filter or two filters, is that light partially or completely polarized?

The light that has passed any number of polarization filters should be completely polarized. That's why it's called a filter :-)

1. What is light polarization?

Light polarization is the phenomenon in which light waves vibrate in a specific direction. This is caused by the orientation of electric and magnetic fields in the light wave, which can be affected by the material the light passes through.

2. How does light polarization occur?

Light polarization occurs when light waves interact with a material that has a specific molecular structure. This interaction causes the electric and magnetic fields of the light to align in a specific direction, resulting in polarized light.

3. What is the difference between polarized and unpolarized light?

Polarized light has its electric and magnetic fields aligned in a specific direction, while unpolarized light has its fields oriented in random directions. This means that polarized light waves vibrate in a single plane, while unpolarized light waves vibrate in multiple planes.

4. How can light polarization be detected?

Light polarization can be detected using polarizing filters or polarimeters. These devices filter out light waves that are not vibrating in a specific direction, allowing only polarized light to pass through.

5. What are the applications of light polarization?

Light polarization has many practical applications, including 3D movie technology, glare-reducing sunglasses, and LCD screens. It is also used in scientific research to study the properties of materials and in communication systems to transmit and receive signals more efficiently.