Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conceptual Question regarding Uncertainty Principle

1. Feb 21, 2014 #1
    This could be one of those questions where I'm hindered by my lack of knowledge on the subject, being only a freshman in college, but recently we learned the uncertainty principle which states that:

ΔE*Δt ≥ h/4π

Given this, I'm assuming it'd be accurate to rewrite ΔE as Δm*c2, which would lead to an equation where mass is uncertain.

But given that mass is an intrinsic property of matter, how can mass be uncertain?

Again, sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm just curious.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

E=mc^2 is valid only if you consider particles at rest (but what is "at rest" when the motion is uncertain?) or use the old concept of a relativistic mass (don't do that) - and then mass is not an intrinsic property of matter.

For short-living and virtual particles, masses are "uncertain" (they show a broad distribution). The http://www.etp.physik.uni-muenchen.de/opal/opal_en.html [Broken] is a prominent example of this effect (first plot - the experimental energy resolution is much better than the width of the distribution).

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook