Conceptual Question: Vector-Matrix Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding information from a differential equation involving matrices and vectors. The solution is represented by a Taylor series, which involves taking a finite sum of vectors and powers of the matrix. The elements of the sum are included until they reach a tolerable error.
adamjts
Hi I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around differential equations with matrices and vectors...
For example:

let y be a vector.
let A(t) be an nxn matrix.

I have the differential equation:
dy/dt = A(t)y

So I think I understand why the solution is

y = ceA(t)

But I'm having trouble understanding how to actually get information from this. For example, if someone asked be to find the yi component at some time t, I wouldn't know how to do it. My friend told me to think of the as a taylor expansion, but I'm still not entirely understanding how to do this. Can someone help explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Taylor series is
$$\vec y(t)= e^{A(t)}\vec y_0=\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{1}{k!}A(t)^k\vec y_0$$
You include only the elements of the infinite sum up to the point at which all components of the most recently added element are smaller than the tolerable error you have decided upon.
So, with that number of elements, the sum is simply a finite sum of vectors, each of which is a finite power of a known matrix ##A(t)##, applied to the known vector ##\vec y_0##.

1. What is a vector-matrix differential equation?

A vector-matrix differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a vector and a matrix, where both the vector and matrix are functions of one or more independent variables. It involves the derivatives of the vector and matrix with respect to the independent variables.

2. How is a vector-matrix differential equation different from a regular differential equation?

A vector-matrix differential equation involves both a vector and a matrix, while a regular differential equation only involves a single variable. In a vector-matrix differential equation, the vector and matrix can have multiple components and the derivatives can vary with respect to different independent variables.

3. What are some real-world applications of vector-matrix differential equations?

Vector-matrix differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model systems with multiple variables and components. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis to optimize functions and make predictions based on multiple variables.

4. How do you solve a vector-matrix differential equation?

Solving a vector-matrix differential equation involves finding the functions that satisfy the equation and its initial conditions. This can be done through analytical methods such as separation of variables or through numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

5. What are the limitations of using vector-matrix differential equations?

Vector-matrix differential equations can become complex and difficult to solve when the system has a large number of variables and components. They also assume that the system is continuous and differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.