Concerns about my MSc Physics applications :((

xuan_qing_le
Summary:: 3.0 gpa(which may be considerably bad :((((), 3 research experience(1 summer term,1 fall,1 spring term) and 1 project in undergraduate

Hello everyone these are those what I had in undergraduate physics.I am going to apply to top tier schools in France,Taiwan and China.Do you think can i get admitted despite of my bad gpa?

Answers and Replies

romsofia
I'll just be blunt: Unless your research resulted in a few papers in top tier journals (and they're relevant enough to get citations), you won't get into a top tier school with that GPA.

xuan_qing_le
I'll just be blunt: Unless your research resulted in a few papers in top tier journals (and they're relevant enough to get citations), you won't get into a top tier school with that GPA.
Thanks,
What should my gpa be at least?

romsofia
Thanks,
What should my gpa be at least?
Top tier schools will want 3.8+, and great letters of recommendations from professors you've done research with.

xuan_qing_le
Top tier schools will want 3.8+, and great letters of recommendations from professors you've done research with.
what?I am talking about MSc not bypassing from undergrad. to phd

romsofia
what?I am talking about MSc not bypassing from undergrad. to phd
I think you're underestimating how competitive physics programs are at top tier unis in most countries if you think 3.8+ is crazy. They're top tier for a reason!

PAllen
Science Advisor
Simple arithmetic could help here. While I don't have data, I think it is plausible that the majority of applicants to top tier graduate programs are in the top 5% of their undergrad classes, and that of applicants, maybe 5% are accepted. Thus, many of these must be in the top 1/4 % of undergrad classes. Note, top tier grad programs are applied to from around the world. In other words, a large fraction of top tier graduate admissions probably graduated summa cum laude (in schools using such designations).

Suggested for: Concerns about my MSc Physics applications :((

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post