Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditional expectation and Least Squares Regression

1. Jul 13, 2009 #1
    Hello everybody,

I have two questions on conditional expectation w.r.t (Polynomial) OLS:
    Let X_t be a random variable and F_t the associated filtration, Vect_n{X_t} the vector space spanned by the polynomials of order {i, i<=n }, f(.) one function with enough regularity. I am wondering how we can prove the following statements are true/false:

(feel free to add assumptions)

1. OLS( f(X_T), Vect_n{X_t} ) -> E( f(X_T) | F_t ), when n-> \infty
    2. Norm_L2{ E( f(X_T) | F_T ) - OLS( (X_T), Vect_n{X_T} ) } >= Norm_L2{ E( f(X_T) | F_t ) - OLS( (X_T), Vect_n{X_t} ) }

For the first one, suppose X_t is Markov + Stone-Weierstrass + projection, we may have something interesting. But for the second one, I don't have any idea...

Any help? Thx.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2009 #2
    Can anyone tell me if there is some (or no) relationship between the projection of f(X_T) on Vector space{X_t^0, X_t^1, ..., X_t^m} and the projection of f(X_T) on Vector space{X_T^0, X_T^1, ..., X_T^m}? Where X_t is a markov process.(or any other appropriate process).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook