Conditional probability of dying from eating a poison fruit

In summary: Juliet would have eaten 1+3, so 4 is left over. Now suppose Romeo ate 2+3. That would leave 1+2, or 3 left over. This could be either 1 or 2 since there is 1 fruit left over. So the answer is 1 or 2.
Addez123
Summary:: There's 11 fruits, 3 of which is poisionous.
A guy eats 4 of them, a girl eats 6 and a dog gets the last one.

What is the conditional probability of both the girl and guy dying IF the dog made it? One fruit is enough to kill you.

$$P(dog lives) = 8/11$$

$$P(allPeopleDie | dog lives) = P(allPeopleDie \cap dog lives)/P(dog lives) $$
$$P(allPeopleDie \cap dog lives) = ??$$

Even if I could calculate guy & girl both getting atleast one posionous fruit each (allPeopleDie), I can't just multiply that with P(dog lives) because they are not independent. So I have no idea how to solve this. Maybe my whole approach is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

$$\{\mathrm{all \ people \ die \ and \ dog \ lives}\}= $$$$\{\mathrm{\ boy \ eats \ two \ poisonous \ fruits \ and \ girl \ one }\}\cup \{\mathrm{\ girl \ eats \ two \ poisonous \ fruits \ and \ boy \ one }\}$$

I wonder who came up with such a sadistic problem :P

• Haha
Likes WWGD, Klystron and etotheipi
I just can't seem to get the right answer.
The answer is 4/5.

A. How many ways can the boy and girl eat 3 fruits and each have atleast one?
A = 2 ways, as you showed above.
B. How many ways can 3 people eat 11 fruits given the guy eats 4, the girl eats 6 and the dog eats 1?
That's an extremely complex question and I've tried for hours and come up with no good answer.

Solution would be $$P(all people die \cap dog lives) = A/B$$ but I don't have B.

Addez123 said:
I just can't seem to get the right answer.
The answer is 4/5.

A. How many ways can the boy and girl eat 3 fruits and each have atleast one?
A = 2 ways, as you showed above.
B. How many ways can 3 people eat 11 fruits given the guy eats 4, the girl eats 6 and the dog eats 1?
That's an extremely complex question and I've tried for hours and come up with no good answer.

Solution would be $$P(all people die \cap dog lives) = A/B$$ but I don't have B.
Notice , as QED wrote, that boy and girl must finish up all poison fruits before dog gets anything. Can you see and count the number of ways in which these 3 fruits can be chosen? Look at QED's hint in #2 again.

Likes member 587159
Note that the order does not matter, so simplest is to deal with the dog first. Dog eats one ok fruit, leaving 7 ok, 3 bad, and we can forget about the dog.
If Romeo and Juliet are both to die, what combinations might the boy eat?

Edit: strike that last line - always look for the smallest set, in this case the set of 3 poisonous fruits.
Consider how these might be selected from the 6+4 eaten by the kids if both are to die.

Last edited:

1. What is conditional probability of dying from eating a poison fruit?

The conditional probability of dying from eating a poison fruit is the likelihood of dying after consuming a fruit that has been contaminated with a toxic substance. It takes into account the probability of eating a poison fruit and the probability of dying after consuming it.

2. How is conditional probability of dying from eating a poison fruit calculated?

The conditional probability of dying from eating a poison fruit is calculated by dividing the probability of dying after consuming a poison fruit by the probability of consuming a poison fruit. This can be expressed as P(dying|eating poison fruit) = P(dying and eating poison fruit) / P(eating poison fruit).

3. What factors influence the conditional probability of dying from eating a poison fruit?

The conditional probability of dying from eating a poison fruit can be influenced by various factors such as the type and amount of poison present in the fruit, the individual's age and health condition, and the time elapsed between consuming the fruit and receiving medical treatment.

4. How can the conditional probability of dying from eating a poison fruit be reduced?

The conditional probability of dying from eating a poison fruit can be reduced by avoiding consumption of unknown or suspicious fruits, properly washing and inspecting fruits before consumption, and seeking immediate medical attention in case of suspected poisoning.

5. Is the conditional probability of dying from eating a poison fruit the same for everyone?

No, the conditional probability of dying from eating a poison fruit can vary for different individuals depending on their age, health condition, and other factors. It is important to note that even a small probability of dying from consuming a poison fruit should not be taken lightly and proper precautions should be taken to avoid such risks.