Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conditions for optimum isentropic efficiency

1. Feb 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ive looked through several published journals online trying to find an experiment that I can use as background research for my report, something I can compare my findings to but im just wasting lots of time that I could be doing the rest of my report so what im trying to find out is how mass flow rate and rotational speed of an axial flow compressor affect the isentropic efficiency.
    My results showed that the optimum efficiency was at the highest rotational speed and mass flow rate so im guessing that high rotational speed and mass flow rate conditions are required for optimum isentropic efficiency but I need some clarification, Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(1) What do you understand the term isentropic efficiency to mean ? How is it defined for a compressor ?

(2) The compressor that you are working on is a commercially produced one .

If you search you might be able to find the published performance specification . This type of specification usually includes one or more charts showing pressure/flow rate/torque/efficiency and other information .

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted