1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating isentropic efficiency of a compressor

1. Feb 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We did an experiment which included having an electric motor provide power to drive the compressor and we had instrumentation available to measure the compressor shaft torque and shaft rotational speed and 6 water filled manometer tubes were used as measurements of the pressure. Using the manometer heights we was asked to calculate the isentropic efficiency.

2. Relevant equations
    The equation we were given to used: isentropic efficiency = (air mass flow rate * Difference in stagnation pressure across the compressor)/ (air density * compressor shaft torque * shaft rotational speed)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the air mass flow rate at 3.89 kg/s, the difference in stagnation pressure at 1900.92 pa, air density at 1.21 kg/m3, shaft torque at 213.86 N.m and rotational speed at 303.68 rad/s from those I got an answer of 0.094 im new to this subject so not sure what kind of numbers I should be getting but that answer seems really low, is there any numbers you can see that seem unreasonable or could it be correct? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2017 #2
    Did you mean stagnation pressure or static pressure? Also, is this a tiny little compressor or a great big compressor?

4. Feb 8, 2017 #3
    Stagnation pressure and the compressor used was a Budworth two stage axial flow compressor

5. Feb 8, 2017 #4
    Please show us your calculations.

6. Feb 8, 2017 #5
    Im sorry it's really kind of hard to show you how I did the calculation because for example to get the air mass flow rate I had to do 3 separate calulations to get that value so I'd have to write lots of different calculations, I really appreciate you helping but would you say that the value I got for the isentropic efficiency is plausible or not? Thanks

Attached Files:

7. Feb 8, 2017 #6
    The mass flow rate seems OK. The pressure difference seems low (to me), for whatever that's worth.

8. Feb 8, 2017 #7
    Okay thanks very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted