Conductor shielding in electrostatics

In summary: The field inside the sphere would be zero, but the field outside the sphere would be non-zero. So the same argument holds for a hollow conductor.You cannot choose any path. The path must start at the conductor and end at the conductor. Think about a uniformly charged sphere...the field lines would start and end at the sphere, but the sphere would be surrounded by a field. The field inside the sphere would be zero, but the field outside the sphere would be non-zero. So the same argument holds for a hollow conductor.
daudaudaudau

Homework Statement

Use Gauss' theorem (and the fact that the line integral of the electric field around a closed loop is zero, if necessary) to prove that a closed, hollow conductor shields its interior from fields due to charges outside. (This is 1.1b in Jackson, and it's not really homework, but I guess this is still the right place).

The Attempt at a Solution

So we're trying to prove that whatever field is outside the conductor, the field inside the hollow part is always zero. The solution I have seen various places draw a contour which is half inside the hollow part and half inside the conductor, and the line integral is then [itex]\int_{\mathcal C}E_{\text{hollow}}\cdot d\ell=0[/itex], because the E-field is zero in the conductor. At this point, how can we conclude that [itex]E_{\text{hollow}}[/itex] is zero? Might it not be positive some places and negative in other places, giving a zero integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
daudaudaudau said:

Homework Statement

Use Gauss' theorem (and the fact that the line integral of the electric field around a closed loop is zero, if necessary) to prove that a closed, hollow conductor shields its interior from fields due to charges outside. (This is 1.1b in Jackson, and it's not really homework, but I guess this is still the right place).

The Attempt at a Solution

So we're trying to prove that whatever field is outside the conductor, the field inside the hollow part is always zero. The solution I have seen various places draw a contour which is half inside the hollow part and half inside the conductor, and the line integral is then [itex]\int_{\mathcal C}E_{\text{hollow}}\cdot d\ell=0[/itex], because the E-field is zero in the conductor. At this point, how can we conclude that [itex]E_{\text{hollow}}[/itex] is zero? Might it not be positive some places and negative in other places, giving a zero integral?

There is a certain subtlety in the argument. The line integral for a path entirely inside the conductor is zero because the electric field is zero. Now consider a path that starts and ends at the same points, but is entirely in the hollow and follows along one of the assumed E field lines. In this case E.dl is always positive and when you integrate, you add a whole lot of positive numbers. Thus the line integral seems to depend on the path. For this to be true, the electric field must be non-conservative. Since the curl of E is zero, the field is conservative so it must be zero.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
There is a certain subtlety in the argument. The line integral for a path entirely inside the conductor is zero because the electric field is zero. Now consider a path that starts and ends at the same points, but is entirely in the hollow and follows along one of the assumed E field lines. In this case E.dl is always positive and when you integrate, you add a whole lot of positive numbers. Thus the line integral seems to depend on the path. For this to be true, the electric field must be non-conservative. Since the curl of E is zero, the field is conservative so it must be zero.

Can we not do this without referring to concepts such as field lines? I.e. using only Gauss' theorem and the conservative nature of the E-field? I guess all we know is that the surface integral of the charge density on the inside of the conductor is zero [itex]\oint_\mathcal{S} \rho_s ds=0[/itex], and then we need to prove that the E-field is zero, i.e. [itex]E(\mathbf r)=\oint_\mathcal{S'}\rho_s(\mathbf r')\frac{\mathbf r-\mathbf r'}{|\mathbf r-\mathbf r'|^3}ds=0[/itex].

Last edited:
daudaudaudau said:
The solution I have seen various places draw a contour which is half inside the hollow part and half inside the conductor, and the line integral is then [itex]\int_{\mathcal C}E_{\text{hollow}}\cdot d\ell=0[/itex], because the E-field is zero in the conductor. At this point, how can we conclude that [itex]E_{\text{hollow}}[/itex] is zero? Might it not be positive some places and negative in other places, giving a zero integral?

The point is that you can choose any path [itex]\mathcal{C}[/itex] inside the hollow cavity and it will be true that [itex]\int_{\mathcal C}E_{\text{hollow}}\cdot d\ell=0[/itex]...You can even make the path infinitesimally small so that [itex]E_{\text{hollow}}[/itex] has a single value along the path...the only way for the integral to always be zero, regardless of the path is that the field itself is zero.

gabbagabbahey said:
The point is that you can choose any path [itex]\mathcal{C}[/itex] inside the hollow cavity and it will be true that [itex]\int_{\mathcal C}E_{\text{hollow}}\cdot d\ell=0[/itex]...You can even make the path infinitesimally small so that [itex]E_{\text{hollow}}[/itex] has a single value along the path...the only way for the integral to always be zero, regardless of the path is that the field itself is zero.

You cannot choose any path. The path must start at the conductor and end at the conductor. Think about a uniformly charged sphere with no holes. All line integrals starting and ending on the sphere are also zero, but this doesn't imply that there is no field outside the sphere.

daudaudaudau said:
Can we not do this without referring to concepts such as field lines? I.e. using only Gauss' theorem and the conservative nature of the E-field? I guess all we know is that the surface integral of the charge density on the inside of the conductor is zero [itex]\oint_\mathcal{S} \rho_s ds=0[/itex], and then we need to prove that the E-field is zero, i.e. [itex]E(\mathbf r)=\oint_\mathcal{S'}\rho_s(\mathbf r')\frac{\mathbf r-\mathbf r'}{|\mathbf r-\mathbf r'|^3}ds=0[/itex].

If the concept of field lines bothers you, how about this argument:

I know that the conductor is at constant potential, say V0. I assert that the potential inside the cavity is V0 everywhere. This means that there is no E field inside the cavity.

Is my assertion justified? Well, V0 (a constant) is a solution of Laplace's equation (valid inside the cavity because there are no charges there) and reduces to the appropriate value V0 at the boundary (surface of conductor). Therefore, by the power vested in me by the Uniqueness Theorem, V0 is indeed the solution inside the cavity. End of discussion.

Is that better?

Yeah I guess that works because the potential is continuous across the boundary, but I think it goes a bit beyond what the problem stated we could use to solve it. If you could only make the "field lines"-argument a bit more mathematical and less intuitive...

I gave you the gist of the argument in my first post. Try to say what I said in English using the language of mathematics. I used field lines only to make sure that the line integral has positive contributions from beginning to end.

Last edited:

What is conductor shielding in electrostatics?

Conductor shielding in electrostatics is a technique used to protect against the effects of electric fields. It involves surrounding a conductor with a conducting material to redistribute the electric field and reduce its strength within the conductor.

How does conductor shielding work?

Conductor shielding works by redistributing the electric field lines around the conductor. The conducting material used in the shielding attracts the electric field lines, causing them to accumulate on the surface of the shield rather than on the surface of the conductor. This reduces the strength of the electric field within the conductor.

What types of materials are used for conductor shielding?

Conductor shielding can be achieved using a variety of materials, including metals, conductive plastics, and conductive coatings. The material used must have a high electrical conductivity to effectively attract and redistribute the electric field lines.

What are the benefits of conductor shielding?

Conductor shielding has several benefits, including reducing the risk of electrical shock, minimizing interference with nearby electronic devices, and protecting sensitive equipment from damage caused by high electric fields. It can also improve the performance and reliability of electrical systems.

Are there any limitations to conductor shielding?

While conductor shielding is effective in reducing the strength of electric fields, it may not completely eliminate them. Additionally, the effectiveness of shielding can be reduced if there are gaps or holes in the shielding material. It is important to carefully design and maintain the shielding to ensure its effectiveness.