Conductor that has the highest melting point

In summary, the conversation is about finding a conductor with a high melting point (>4000C) that can be made in bulk. Tungsten is suggested as a potential option, but the original poster is looking for alloys or exotic materials that may have even higher melting points. Diamond is mentioned as a potential option, but its electrical conductivity is uncertain and it can burn in the presence of oxygen. The highest temperature refractory material found was a mixed compound (Ta0.8Hf0.20C) with a melting point of 3905°C. It is suggested that the highest melting point for a conductor may be one of its pure metal elements. Hafnium carbide and tantalum hafnium carbide are
ZeroFunGame
TL;DR Summary
Hoping for feedback regarding engineered/man-made conductors that has high melting points (>4000C).
Hoping for feedback regarding engineered conductors that has high melting points (>4000C). Does anyone perhaps know of such metallic alloys or conductive material? (please, no 2D/1D materials -- exotic materials/alloys are OK, just has to be able to be made in bulk!) Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Conductors usually have other requirements too; like resistivity, chemical stability (primarily oxidation), ductility, TCE, etc.
However, since you only asked about temperature, I'll vote for Tungsten, used for the filament in incandescent lights.

Tungsten is a high one! But its melting point is <4000C, which was why I engineered the post to inquire about alloys or exotic materials that perhaps only folks may know of in their respective fields. Appreciate the feedback DaveE!

I am unaware of no metal alloy that has actually been synthesized with a melting point that high.

Vanadium 50 said:
I am unaware of no metal alloy that has actually been synthesized with a melting point that high.

Does this mean tungsten would be the conductor (natural or engineered) that has the highest melting point?

Obviously, I had a misplaced double negative.

I don't know if there is some alloy of tungsten that has a higher melting point, nor if it is still metallic.

That's what I assumed. There are certainly ceramics with high melting points that meets the 4k C criteria, but unfortunately, nothing on conductors. Not even the good ol' CNTs...

Graphite sublimation temperature is, depending on the reference, ≅3870 to 4020°C.
Try a Google search for: sublimation temperature of graphite

Here's one that may not match your (unstated) application or constraints: Diamond is good up tp 4440°C but I don't recall if it is electrically conductive.

The highest temperature refractory material I found was at:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/176628/new-record-worlds-most-heat-resistant/...the mixed compound (Ta0.8Hf0.20C) was consistent with previous research, melting at 3905°C...

(above found with :
https://www.google.com/search?&q=4000+degree+electrical+conductor)

Cheers,
Tom

When it comes to metals and their alloys, if you look at an alloy phase diagram you will see that the highest temperature is one of the elements, with the lowest temperature being the eutectic alloy.

That suggests it is most unlikely there will be a higher melting point alloy than one of its pure metal elements.

One problem with thermocouples is the bond between the two different metal elemental wires, since that junction is an alloy that melts and fails before either of the wires.

Tom.G said:
Diamond is good up tp 4440°C but I don't recall if it is electrically conductive.
It will burn instantly in the presence of oxygen above about 400°C.

How good a conductor does it need to be? According to this site, hafnium carbide has a melting point of 3890C, and an electrical conductivity of 109 μΩ-cm. This would make it comparable to nichrome wire in terms of conductivity. Is that good enough? According to this Wikipedia site, tantalum hafnium carbide has the highest known melting point of 3990C, so there are no materials, conductive or not, with melting points >4000C.

1. What is a conductor with the highest melting point?

A conductor with the highest melting point refers to a material that can conduct electricity and has the ability to withstand high temperatures without melting or degrading.

2. What are some examples of conductors with high melting points?

Some examples of conductors with high melting points include tungsten, platinum, and titanium.

3. Why is a high melting point important for conductors?

A high melting point is important for conductors because it allows them to maintain their structural integrity and continue conducting electricity even at high temperatures.

4. How is the melting point of a conductor determined?

The melting point of a conductor is determined through various methods such as differential thermal analysis, differential scanning calorimetry, or by using specialized equipment like a melting point apparatus.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a conductor with a high melting point?

One drawback of using a conductor with a high melting point is that it can be more expensive and difficult to manufacture compared to other materials. Additionally, some high melting point conductors may also be brittle and difficult to work with.