Confidence with maths/physics goes as tan(t)?

• Thread starter genericusrnme
  • Start date
In summary, many mathematicians and scientists experience fluctuations in confidence and self-doubt when faced with challenging problems or concepts. This can be a source of both frustration and motivation, as the highs of solving a difficult problem make the process worthwhile. This phenomenon has been described as "intellectual sadimasochism" and "post-success depression". Despite the challenges, many still pursue mathematics and science because of their love for it.
genericusrnme
Am I the only one whos confidence with maths and physics goes as tan(t)?
It's been going like this for the past ~2 years..

I'll be learning from a book pretty well, I'll get all the problems done and I'll feel on top of the world, then something will come along, it might be a skipped step in a derivation or a later problem that uses something that was in a previous chapter and I'll be stuck on it for the longest time and bam, my confidence in my abilities shoots away down to -inf, only to get built back up to +inf in the next few chapters.

Every time I go to learn something.. every time

Anyone else got any similar stories?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 338
Physics news on Phys.org
mine has to be modeled on a complex plane

Being a mathematician is a very depressing something:

We see a problem, we think about it for hours and days. We don't sleep because we're thinking about the problem. We feel sad because we think others might have found it immediately.
Then we find it and we think we're stupid because the answer was so easy and we should have found it immediately. So we feel depressed about not feeling smart enough.
Then we try another problem and the process repeats.

And then somebody asks us why we do mathematics? Well, because we like it. :biggrin:

It are the highs right after finding a solution that makes all of it worthwhile.

micromass said:
Being a mathematician is a very depressing something:

We see a problem, we think about it for hours and days. We don't sleep because we're thinking about the problem. We feel sad because we think others might have found it immediately.
Then we find it and we think we're stupid because the answer was so easy and we should have found it immediately. So we feel depressed about not feeling smart enough.
Then we try another problem and the process repeats.

And then somebody asks us why we do mathematics? Well, because we like it. :biggrin:

It are the highs right after finding a solution that makes all of it worthwhile.

I remember twofish-quant referring to this as a kind of "intellectual sadimasochism (or sadism)".

Every time I visit this forum and see some of the knowledge and insight on these forums, it's amazing. It's kind of like a huge slap in the face when you think you know even a little bit about science/engineering/mathematics/etc.

chiro said:
I remember twofish-quant referring to this as a kind of "intellectual sadimasochism (or sadism)".

At work we call it "post-success depression". A bit like post-natal depression, after giving birth to your intellectual baby. Suddenly not having a reason for working 90 hours week on a problem can be very disorienting!

What does "confidence with maths/physics goes as tan(t)" mean?

"Confidence with maths/physics goes as tan(t)" is a phrase used to describe the relationship between confidence and understanding in mathematics and physics. It suggests that as one's understanding of these subjects increases, their confidence in their abilities also increases at a proportional rate, similar to the tangent function in mathematics.

Is this phrase always true for everyone?

No, this phrase is a generalization and may not apply to everyone. Some individuals may have a higher level of confidence in their mathematical or physics abilities than their level of understanding, while others may have a deeper understanding but lack confidence. It is important to recognize that each person's learning and confidence journey is unique.

What factors influence one's confidence and understanding in maths/physics?

There are many factors that can influence one's confidence and understanding in mathematics and physics. These may include previous experiences, learning style, motivation, practice, and effective teaching methods. It is important to identify and address these factors in order to improve one's confidence and understanding in these subjects.

How can I improve my confidence and understanding in maths/physics?

Improving confidence and understanding in mathematics and physics requires consistent effort and practice. Some helpful strategies may include seeking additional resources or tutoring, actively participating in class, breaking down complex concepts into smaller, manageable parts, and setting achievable goals. It is also important to stay motivated and persevere through challenges.

Why is it important to be confident in maths/physics?

Confidence in mathematics and physics is important because it allows individuals to approach problems with a positive mindset and believe in their abilities to find solutions. It also helps in building a strong foundation for further learning and can lead to success in related fields and careers. Additionally, confidence in these subjects can boost overall self-esteem and critical thinking skills.