Confirmation of varying fine-structure constant

• Thread starter TrickyDicky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, Webb et al. have found evidence that the strength of electromagnetism changes gradually from one “side” of the universe to another. They also found that the dipole equator follows the ecliptic rather than the galactic plane.
TrickyDicky
http://theconversation.edu.au/is-life-on-earth-due-to-a-quirk-in-the-laws-of-physics-4153

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1008/1008.3907v2.pdf

Also discussed here:
http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/

Certainly this has a lot of far reaching implications (perhaps even more than FTL neutrinos): but I have some questions: Webb says one consequence/explanation of this could be that our universe is infinite, I fail to see how this is a surprise, actually the FRW universes with flat and hyperbolic spatial curvature (open universes) are infinite, right?
Also when it says that this finding breaks the Equivalence principle I guess he is referring to the "Einstein equivalence principle" (see wikipedia) version that I think is basically WEP+Lorent invariance?

ADDED: I have just seen a similar thread has been opened in the astrophysics subforum, I leave it to the Mentors to decide whether to merge my post or not.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
The fine structure constant could have varied by up to 50 parts per million.
So one or more of e, Eo, hbar, or c have changed over the history of the universe?

A new breed of Astro Physicst?
http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/

I'm still exceedingly suspicious of this result. It looks like the result comes out of just a handful of the total quasars observed (most of the quasars observed lie along the equatorial plane, with just a few in the direction where the dipole is claimed to be).

I probably won't be convinced without some independent measure of the fine structure constant. And I'd also like to see far more quasars observed near the poles of this estimated dipole.

Chalnoth said:
I'm still exceedingly suspicious of this result. It looks like the result comes out of just a handful of the total quasars observed (most of the quasars observed lie along the equatorial plane, with just a few in the direction where the dipole is claimed to be).

I probably won't be convinced without some independent measure of the fine structure constant. And I'd also like to see far more quasars observed near the poles of this estimated dipole.
Of course it is a suspicious finding, and I agree the fact that it has a dipole form makes it even more so (it would seem that such a departure from isotropy would have been observed in other ways), they probably jump to quickly to the conclusion that "the strength of electromagnetism changes gradually from one “side” of the universe to another".
There's also something odd about the dipole equator in that it seems to follow the ecliptic.

I find this topic very intriguing and thought-provoking. The confirmation of a varying fine-structure constant would indeed have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of physics and the origins of life on Earth.

Firstly, the idea that our universe may be infinite is not a new one, and has been proposed by many cosmologists. However, this finding could potentially provide further evidence for this theory. It would also challenge our current understanding of the fundamental constants in physics, as they are believed to be universal and unchanging. If the fine-structure constant is indeed varying, it would suggest that the laws of physics are not as constant as we once thought.

The potential breaking of the equivalence principle is also a fascinating concept. The equivalence principle is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration. If this principle is violated, it would challenge our understanding of gravity and possibly lead to new theories or modifications of existing ones.

However, as with any new discovery, it is important to approach it with a critical eye and further investigation. The paper cited in the article is still undergoing peer review and has not yet been published in a scientific journal. It is also worth noting that the results are based on a small sample size and may require further confirmation.

Overall, this is a fascinating and potentially groundbreaking finding that could significantly impact our understanding of the universe. Further research and confirmation will be necessary to fully understand the implications of a varying fine-structure constant.

1. What is the fine-structure constant and why is it important?

The fine-structure constant, also known as alpha, is a fundamental physical constant that characterizes the strength of the electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles. It is a dimensionless quantity that determines the strength of the electromagnetic force and is crucial for understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other fundamental particles.

2. How is the fine-structure constant measured?

The fine-structure constant can be measured through various methods, including precision spectroscopy of atomic transitions, measuring the electron gyromagnetic ratio, and analyzing the scattering of electrons by atomic nuclei. These experiments require advanced equipment and techniques to accurately determine the value of alpha.

3. Why does the fine-structure constant vary and what are the possible implications?

The variation of the fine-structure constant is still a subject of ongoing research and debate. Some theories suggest that it may vary over time or within different regions of the universe. If confirmed, this could have significant implications for our understanding of fundamental physics and the universe's evolution.

4. What recent developments have been made in confirming the varying fine-structure constant?

Recently, there have been several studies that have provided evidence for the variation of the fine-structure constant. For example, the Oklo natural nuclear reactor in Gabon has been found to have a slightly different value of alpha compared to current measurements. Additionally, observations of distant quasars have shown potential variations in alpha over cosmic distances.

5. How does the confirmation of varying fine-structure constant impact our understanding of the universe?

If the varying fine-structure constant is confirmed, it could challenge our current understanding of fundamental physics and the laws of nature. It could also lead to new insights into the origins and evolution of the universe. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the implications of a varying alpha and its impact on our understanding of the universe.