Zero Energy Universe: Examining Conservation of Energy in Cosmology

In summary: Ah, sorry, I misread. This sounds like just another way of wording the fact that in a closed universe, the total energy works out to identically zero in the Hamiltonian formalism of General Relativity.In summary, Marcelo Samuel Berman says that the energy of the universe is zero, and that this is supported by calculations involving the association of the equivalence principle with the nature of co-motional observers. There is some doubt about this claim, but it is clarified with the novel idea that the justification for the calculation lies in the association of the equivalence principle with the nature of co-motional observers.
Naty1
I was looking for some information on the total energy in the universe:
Crowell said: How does conservation of energy apply to cosmology?

General relativity doesn't have a conserved scalar mass-energy that can be defined in any spacetime.[MTW 1973] It only has certain definitions that work in special cases, including stationary spacetimes and asymptotically flat spacetimes. Cosmological solutions aren't stationary or asymptotically flat. Therefore there is no way to define the total energy of the universe (regardless of whether the universe is spatially finite or infinite). There is not even any way to define the total energy of the observable universe. There is no way to say whether or not energy is conserved during cosmological expansion.

(oops. I lost the thread where this appeared...ok, post #12 here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=453837&highlight=zero+energy+universe)

Yet I turned up this which seems to say it's zero:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0605/0605063v3.pdf

(and Wikipedia...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_universe)

ON THE ZERO-ENERGY UNIVERSE
Marcelo Samuel Berman1

We consider the energy of the Universe, from the pseudo-tensor point of view(Berman,1981).
We find zero values, when the calculations are well-done.The doubts concerning this subject are
clarified, with the novel idea that the justification for the calculation lies in the association of the
equivalence principle, with the nature of co-motional observers, as demanded in Cosmology. In
Section 4, we give a novel calculation for the zero-total energy result.

in which he says:

(Guth, 1981), as an accelerated expansion of the Universe, immediately after the creation
instant,while the Universe, as it expands,borrows energy from the gravitational field to
create more matter. According to his description, the positive matter energy is exactly
balanced by the negative gravitational energy, so that the total energy is zero,and that
when the size of the Universe doubles, both the matter and gravitational energies also
double, keeping the total energy zero (twice zero).

It has been generally accepted that the Universe has zero-total energy. The first such claim, as far as the present author recollects, was due to Feynman(1962-3). Lately,
Berman(2006, 2006 a) has proved this result by means of simple arguments involving
Robertson-Walker’s metric for any value of the tri-curvature ( 0,−1, 1 ).

Are these views complementary or contradictory?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Naty1 said:
The first point was talking only about the energy in the matter fields. The second was using the Hamiltonian formalism, which defines a potential energy for gravitational fields, and essentially enforces energy conservation by hand. When this is done, the total energy for a closed FRW universe turns out to be zero.

It would be logically inconsistent for the total 'energy' of the universe to be anything other than zero [or very, very close] due to the laws to thermodynamics. It would otherwise be highly unstable. The trick is in how you define 'energy'. Personally, I prefer the information theory definition.

bcrowell said:
General relativity doesn't have a conserved scalar mass-energy that can be defined in any spacetime.[MTW 1973]
We consider the energy of the Universe, from the pseudo-tensor point of view(Berman,1981).

Naty1 said:
Complementary. Note the word "scalar" in my quote and the word "pseudo-tensor" in the Berman quote.

-Ben

aw. c'mon guys/girls, this is physics forums...where controversey reigns supreme! I don't believe I have ever seen three "expert" posters in such agreement...that ruins the fun, but I guess aids understanding, so thanks...

"such a big place, so little time to learm."

Naty1 said:
aw. c'mon guys/girls, this is physics forums...where controversey reigns supreme! I don't believe I have ever seen three "expert" posters in such agreement...that ruins the fun, but I guess aids understanding, so thanks...

We could still probably get in a good rip-roaring argument about whether pseudo-tensors are good or evil. It would be fun for me to watch that one from the sidelines, since I know nothing about pseudo-tensors :-)

Along these same lines I came across this article...

http://www.science20.com/hammock_physicist/square_root_universe

I follow their logic right up to this point...

And now comes the key point: if we associate with a black hole horizon an energy equal to its HHR or half-radius, then we have to associate a similar energy to the cosmic horizon.

That statement needs some justification to me. What is that justification?

mrspeedybob said:
That statement needs some justification to me. What is that justification?
That's the mass-energy of a black hole.

Chalnoth said:
That's the mass-energy of a black hole.

Yes but how do we justify the assertion that the inside event horizon of the universe has anything to do with its energy content?

mrspeedybob said:
Yes but how do we justify the assertion that the inside event horizon of the universe has anything to do with its energy content?
Ah, sorry, I misread. This sounds like just another way of wording the fact that in a closed universe, the total energy works out to identically zero in the Hamiltonian formalism of General Relativity.

1. What is a Zero Energy Universe?

A Zero Energy Universe is a theoretical concept in cosmology that suggests the total energy of the universe is exactly zero. This means that the positive energy from matter and radiation is balanced out by the negative energy from gravitational potential energy. In this scenario, the universe would not require any external energy sources to maintain its existence.

2. How is the concept of Zero Energy Universe related to the conservation of energy?

The concept of a Zero Energy Universe is directly related to the conservation of energy, which is a fundamental principle in physics. This principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In a Zero Energy Universe, the total energy remains constant, with the positive and negative energies balancing each other out.

3. Is there any evidence for a Zero Energy Universe?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for a Zero Energy Universe. However, the concept is supported by some theories, such as the inflationary model of the universe and the cosmological constant. These theories suggest that the overall energy of the universe is balanced and that the total energy is indeed zero.

4. How does the idea of a Zero Energy Universe impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of a Zero Energy Universe challenges traditional ideas about the origin and evolution of the universe. It suggests that the universe could have arisen from a state of nothingness, without the need for a creator or external energy source. It also has implications for the ultimate fate of the universe, as a balanced energy state could potentially result in a never-ending cycle of expansion and contraction.

5. Are there any alternative theories to the Zero Energy Universe?

Yes, there are alternative theories to the Zero Energy Universe, such as the Steady State theory and the Big Bang theory. These theories propose different explanations for the origin and evolution of the universe and do not necessarily require a balanced energy state. However, the concept of a Zero Energy Universe is gaining traction in the scientific community and continues to be a subject of study and debate.