Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conformal Field Theory intro.

1. May 7, 2009 #1

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello

Anyone got some introductory notes / books on Conformal Field Theory for someone who know Quantum Field Theory at the level of Peskin's book?

cheers

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2009 #2
    I highly recommend Ginsparg as an introductory set of notes:
    http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9108028

As a good second source, which you should keep aside (but is a little less detailed), try Schellekens notes:
    http://www.nikhef.nl/~t58/lectures.html

In the end there is only one real Tome on conformal field theory, which is the book by Di Francesco, Mathieu and Senechal (title: Conformal Field Theory). But that will take you at least a whole year to read back-to-back. Do note that this book is about CFT - not about its applications (for instance, it hardly involves supersymmetry).

In the context of String theory you should also look for Polchinski, String Theory Vol 1.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  4. May 9, 2009 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi and thank you! Yeah, a book with almost 900pages seems really cumbersome ;)

5. May 9, 2009 #4
    xepma makes a point however : it depends whether you want to study conformal field theory by itself, or if you have a specific application for it. There are numerous books on it in condensed matter field theory for instance.

A shorter review is in RMP Vol 34 num 3 (Jul 1962) page 442

6. May 9, 2009 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well I am mostly interested in its application to string theory AND condensed matter

7. May 9, 2009 #6
    For condensed matter, I have "Introduction to conformal invariance and its applications to critical phenomena" by Christe and Henkel (CUP 1993) (but as you know, I am no condensed matter aficionado, so there may be better references around)

Also, there is "Applied conformal field theory" by Ginsparg (Les Houches 1989)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook