Confused about Dirac particles

In summary, the Dirac equation describes spin-1/2 particles - i.e. particles of definite spin. However, the spin operator does not commute with the Dirac Hamiltonian, which is strange because I thought if you were going to describe particles of a given kind - that is, particles identified by a property P - that satisfy a given Hamiltonian, it has to be the case that the operator corresponding to P commutes with that Hamiltonian. This is not a paradox, because S *does* commute with H in the particle's rest frame, where p = 0.
metroplex021
I'm really confused! The Dirac equation describes spin -1/2 particles - i.e. particles of definite spin. And yet the spin operator does not commute with the Dirac Hamiltonian!

The reason I'm confused is because I thought if you were going to describe particles of a given kind - that is, particles identified by a property P - that satisfy a given Hamiltonian, it has to be the case that the operator corresponding to P commutes with that Hamiltonian. So, for example, I thought that if you want to say that a kind of particle with charge q obeys a given Hamiltonian, then the charge operator Q had to commute with that Hamiltonian.

Where have I gone wrong?! Any help massively appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, but H commutes with the total angular momentum J. Must remember to include the orbital part.

H = α.p + β m
J = r x p + ½ σ

[H, J] = [α.p, r x p] + [β m, r x p] + [α.p, ½ σ] + [β m, ½ σ]
= -i α x p + 0 + i α x p + 0 = 0

Thank you for that, *but* is it not the case that when we say 'electrons are spin 1/2 particles', we're staying silent about their orbital momentum?

It still seems really weird to me to say that spin 1/2 particles satisfy the Dirac equation, and yet that the Dirac Hamiltonian does not conserve the spin of those particles. (For if the spin was measured as 1/2 at t=0 and something different at t=t', then how could we say that there's a spin 1/2 particle evolving in time according to the Dirac equation?!)

But wait! There's more! What about σ.p? What if I told you that the helicity σ.p also was conserved? Now what would you say?

Bill_K said:
But wait! There's more! What about σ.p? What if I told you that the helicity σ.p also was conserved? Now what would you say?

Well, I guess I'd say that unlike s(s+1) it's not Lorentz invariant (where there is non-zero mass), so we can't use it to classify particles as being of one type or another...

Total spin is not a conserved observable, because it's not a central element in the Poincare algebra, nor a Casimir operator in the universal envelopping one. Pauli-Liubanskii vector operator squared is a valid conserved observable for massive uniparticle quantum states.

metroplex,

Seriously, the form of the total angular momentum, J = r x p + ½ σ shows explicitly that the particle being described has spin 1/2. I think you want S to commute with the Hamiltonian separately, but in general it does not. This is not a paradox, because S *does* commute with H in the particle's rest frame, where p = 0.

thanks people (esp bill_k). that's really helpful. crisis over.

Wikipidea says (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics ) : Composite particles are often referred to as having a definite spin, just like elementary particles; for example, the proton is a spin-1/2 particle.

Dirac analysis gives spin-1/2 value of 'elementary' point particles like electron. In that case, are composite particles with spin-1/2 also Dirac particles? If not, then why? Can anyone please explain how to define a Dirac particle?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are Dirac particles?

Dirac particles are elementary particles described by the Dirac equation, which was developed by physicist Paul Dirac. They are fermions, meaning they have half-integer spin, and include particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons.

2. How are Dirac particles different from other particles?

Dirac particles have unique properties, including the ability to have both positive and negative energy states, as described by the Dirac equation. They also follow the principles of quantum mechanics and relativity, making them different from classical particles.

3. What is the significance of Dirac particles in physics?

The discovery of Dirac particles and the development of the Dirac equation revolutionized the field of quantum mechanics. It allowed for a better understanding of the properties and behavior of elementary particles, and has led to advancements in fields such as particle physics and quantum computing.

4. How are Dirac particles related to the concept of antimatter?

Dirac particles have both positive and negative energy states, which can be interpreted as particles and antiparticles. For example, the positive energy states of the Dirac equation describe particles like electrons, while the negative energy states describe their antiparticles, called positrons.

5. How are Dirac particles experimentally observed?

Dirac particles are observed indirectly through their interactions with other particles. For example, the existence of positrons, the antiparticles of electrons, was first predicted by the Dirac equation and later experimentally confirmed. Other experiments, such as particle colliders, also provide evidence for the existence of Dirac particles.