Soup sachet nutritional label shows increasing grams when diluted with water

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Confused
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 1K views
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
3,877
Reaction score
6,212
Background. Trying to lose weight via a clamp down on carbs so I decided to try sachet soup for lunch at work. mostly water, not many calories.

Examining the contents some of the wording is confusing.

Total Contents 81g = 4 sachets so 4 "meals" I weighed one and it was approximately 20g so fine with that.

Prep. One sachet add 230 ml of water. A bit runny for me but also fine.

Nutritional information below is where things get wooly. Is below the dry powder? "As prepared" suggests with water but if that is case how would adding more water increase the number of total grams?

If it is a % that would not work either, the total % per portion should go down not up as the dilution increases.

I shall be embarrassed if I have missed something obvious.
1663071900545.png
 
Biology news on Phys.org
The first column is per 100g of soup prepared in the standard fashion (230g water/sachet). For those who want easy arithmetic.
I would save the embarassment for when you spill the soup onto someone's lap!
 
230 ml of water (or 230 g) + 20 g sachet = 250 g portion.

For a 100 g "portion", for example, the energy content would be:

381 kJ * 100 g / 250 g = 152 kJ
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu and pinball1970
jack action said:
230 ml of water (or 230 g) + 20 g sachet = 250 g portion.

For a 100 g "portion", for example, the energy content would be:

381 kJ * 100 g / 250 g = 152 kJ
I worked it out as I was halfway writing to Bachelors.

I added a tin of sardines for protein and it still tasted bland.