1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused in stat. mech.-thermo., inconsistant result

1. Oct 8, 2014 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello guys,
    Long problem but I'll drastically shorten it. I've a diatomic ideal gas of N molecules (the 2 atoms are distinct). I must calculate the internal energy and the specific heat for high temperatures.
    I've got the solution but if I solve it my way in the last step, I get a different result.

2. Relevant equations
    Partition function of one molecule: ##Z_1\approx \frac{T}{\omicron}##. This expression is to be found in the solution for this exercise.
    Thus, for N molecules, i.e. the whole system: ##Z_N\approx \left ( \frac{T}{\omicron} \right ) ^N## (according to me). These approximations are valid for ##T>>\omicron##.
    The solution states that from ##Z_1##, we can calculate the mean energy per molecule as ##\overline{\varepsilon}=-\frac{\partial Z_1 }{\partial \beta}=kT##.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    My idea was to get the Helmholz free energy and then, from it, getting the internal energy.
    I got ##A(\beta,N) \approx -\frac{N}{\beta} \ln \left ( \frac{1}{k\beta \omicron} \right )##.
    Since ##U=\left ( \frac{\partial A}{\partial \beta} \right ) _{V,N}##, I got ##U \approx\frac{N}{\beta ^2}[1-\ln (k\beta \omicron)]##. As you can see:
    1)My result for U is not extensive (so I'm fried).
    2)Dividing my expression for U by N, I don't reach the expression for the average energy per molecule the solution provides.

I don't understand what I did wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2014 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Nevermind guys, I found out the mistake. I had to multiply A by beta before taking the derivative with respect to beta, in order to get the internal energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted