Confusing that light is the only wave that doesn't move through

• Thread starter xirow
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I've always found it confusing that light is the only wave that doesn't move through a medium, is it possible that light does move through a medium, and dark matter is the parts of the universe the medium doesn't extend to.

Answers and Replies

Light can in fact move through a medium, and the speed of light is slower in different materials. It's just that it doesn't need a medium.

thanks, but my question may have been misinterpreted, what i was asking is if light could be moving through a medium when its in space

What would it move through? It's been made clear that there is no medium in space, it's just a vacuum out there.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I've always found it confusing that light is the only wave that doesn't move through a medium, is it possible that light does move through a medium, and dark matter is the parts of the universe the medium doesn't extend to.
No, this is not possible. At least, not as you've put it. It's always possible there is some sort of medium that light travels through, but even if so, light must still obey all the laws we've already observed. After all, we've already observed that it works this way.

As for dark matter, that's definitely not possible. Dark matter is believed to exist practically everywhere in the universe in more or less amounts.

thanks, I had no idea dark matter was so prominent

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
thanks, I had no idea dark matter was so prominent
There could be some passing through you right now and you wouldn't even know it!

Claude Bile
Science Advisor
I've always found it confusing that light is the only wave that doesn't move through a medium.
Light is not the only wave that doesn't move through a medium. Electrons and other sub-atomic particles can be described by wavefunctions that don't move through a medium.

Claude.