Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusing that light is the only wave that doesn't move through

1. Oct 17, 2013 #1
    I've always found it confusing that light is the only wave that doesn't move through a medium, is it possible that light does move through a medium, and dark matter is the parts of the universe the medium doesn't extend to.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2013 #2
    Light can in fact move through a medium, and the speed of light is slower in different materials. It's just that it doesn't need a medium.

4. Oct 17, 2013 #3
    thanks, but my question may have been misinterpreted, what i was asking is if light could be moving through a medium when its in space

5. Oct 17, 2013 #4
    What would it move through? It's been made clear that there is no medium in space, it's just a vacuum out there.

6. Oct 17, 2013 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

No, this is not possible. At least, not as you've put it. It's always possible there is some sort of medium that light travels through, but even if so, light must still obey all the laws we've already observed. After all, we've already observed that it works this way.

As for dark matter, that's definitely not possible. Dark matter is believed to exist practically everywhere in the universe in more or less amounts.

7. Oct 17, 2013 #6
    thanks, I had no idea dark matter was so prominent

8. Oct 18, 2013 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

There could be some passing through you right now and you wouldn't even know it!

9. Oct 19, 2013 #8

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Light is not the only wave that doesn't move through a medium. Electrons and other sub-atomic particles can be described by wavefunctions that don't move through a medium.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook