Confusing that light is the only wave that doesn't move through

In summary, light is capable of moving through a medium, but it does not require one to do so. The speed of light can vary in different materials, but it is not necessary for light to have a medium in order to travel. As for dark matter, it is believed to exist throughout the universe in varying amounts. However, it is not possible for light to move through a medium in the same way that dark matter does. It is also worth noting that light is not the only wave that does not require a medium to travel, as sub-atomic particles can also be described by wavefunctions that do not move through a medium.
xirow
I've always found it confusing that light is the only wave that doesn't move through a medium, is it possible that light does move through a medium, and dark matter is the parts of the universe the medium doesn't extend to.

Physics news on Phys.org
Light can in fact move through a medium, and the speed of light is slower in different materials. It's just that it doesn't need a medium.

thanks, but my question may have been misinterpreted, what i was asking is if light could be moving through a medium when its in space

What would it move through? It's been made clear that there is no medium in space, it's just a vacuum out there.

xirow said:
I've always found it confusing that light is the only wave that doesn't move through a medium, is it possible that light does move through a medium, and dark matter is the parts of the universe the medium doesn't extend to.

No, this is not possible. At least, not as you've put it. It's always possible there is some sort of medium that light travels through, but even if so, light must still obey all the laws we've already observed. After all, we've already observed that it works this way.

As for dark matter, that's definitely not possible. Dark matter is believed to exist practically everywhere in the universe in more or less amounts.

thanks, I had no idea dark matter was so prominent

xirow said:
thanks, I had no idea dark matter was so prominent

There could be some passing through you right now and you wouldn't even know it!

xirow said:
I've always found it confusing that light is the only wave that doesn't move through a medium.

Light is not the only wave that doesn't move through a medium. Electrons and other sub-atomic particles can be described by wavefunctions that don't move through a medium.

Claude.

1. How is it possible that light, as a wave, does not move through any medium?

Light is a type of electromagnetic wave, which means it does not require a medium to travel through. Unlike sound waves, which require particles to vibrate in a medium such as air or water, light can travel through a vacuum.

2. Why is light the only wave that does not require a medium?

This is because light is composed of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that can exist in a vacuum. These fields do not need a medium to propagate, unlike mechanical waves such as sound or water waves.

3. How does light travel through space if there is no medium?

Light travels through space as a result of its oscillating electric and magnetic fields. These fields create disturbances that can travel through a vacuum at the speed of light, enabling light to reach us from distant stars and galaxies.

4. Can light travel through other materials besides a vacuum?

Yes, light can travel through other materials such as air, water, and glass. However, the speed of light will be slower in these materials compared to a vacuum because the particles in the material can interact with the light waves and slow them down.

5. How does the speed of light in a vacuum compare to its speed in other materials?

In a vacuum, the speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. In other materials, the speed of light can vary, but it is always slower than in a vacuum. For example, the speed of light in air is about 299,705,000 meters per second, and in water, it is about 225,000,000 meters per second.