Confusion (4) from Weinberg's QFT.(Time reversal))

• Thread starter kof9595995
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, according to Weinberg, the time-reversal operator on quantum states must be antilinear in order to avoid negative energy states.
kof9595995
This question came across my mind when I read section 2.6, but it does not have close relation to the content of the book.
If we apply a time reversal to 4-momentum, the 0-component(i.e. the energy) will become negative, and this is why time-reversal operator on quantum states must be antilinear according to Weinberg. I wonder how we interpret the negative energy if there were no quantum mechanics, i.e. if we only have classical description, it seems energy will inevitably become negative after time reversal, how do we resolve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
In classical mechanics, time reversal is just to replace t with -t. This changes the direction of the momentum, but energy depends only on its magnitude.

In Minkowski geometry there are two independent reflections, space reflection and time reflection. After you've specified the transformation properties of a quantity under restricted Lorentz transformations you still have to say how it transforms under the two reflections.

For example the space reflection is (x, ct) → (-x, ct), and we distinguish proper vectors for which (v, v0) → (-v, v0) and pseudovectors for which (v, v0) → (v, v0).

When it comes to time reflection, again two behaviors are possible, and the point is that the position vector and the energy-momentum vector transform differently under time reflection. For the position vector, (x, ct) → (x, -ct), while for the energy-momentum vector, (p, E/c) → (-p, E/c).

Bill_K said:
In Minkowski geometry there are two independent reflections, space reflection and time reflection. After you've specified the transformation properties of a quantity under restricted Lorentz transformations you still have to say how it transforms under the two reflections.

For example the space reflection is (x, ct) → (-x, ct), and we distinguish proper vectors for which (v, v0) → (-v, v0) and pseudovectors for which (v, v0) → (v, v0).

When it comes to time reflection, again two behaviors are possible, and the point is that the position vector and the energy-momentum vector transform differently under time reflection. For the position vector, (x, ct) → (x, -ct), while for the energy-momentum vector, (p, E/c) → (-p, E/c).
Emm, if it's like what you said, how would you comment on the way Weinberg argue time-reversal operator on Hilbert space must be antilinear(section 2.6, page75~76)? In case you don't have the book in hand, I'll briefly describe it:
From the group property and unitarity of the symmetry transformation we can derive [itex]TiP^{\rho}T^{-1}=i{\cal {T}}^{\;\;\rho}_{\mu}P^{\mu}[/itex]...(2.6.6)
where all symbols on the left are operators on quantum states and on the right are 4-vectors and corresponding Lorentz transformations(time reversal in this case). Now inspect the 0-component of [itex]\rho[/itex], we have
[itex]TiHT^{-1}=-iH[/itex].....(*)
So to avoid negative energy state we must require T to be antillinear so that
[itex]THT^{-1}=H[/itex]...(2.6.13)
blablabla...
So you see in deriving (*) Weinberg obviously assumed time-reversal acts the same way on 4-momentum as 4-vector of space and time.

Last edited:
Yes, I have the book. I don't see there's a difference, except that Weinberg is doing it all in second-quantized framework, and I was thinking in terms of Schrodinger. We both wind up in the same place, namely TpT-1 = -p, THT-1 = +H.

From my point of view, since xμ and kμ transform differently, k'·x' = - k·x, and to maintain the form ψ ~ exp(ik·x) you need to complex conjugate the wavefunction.

Bill_K said:
Yes, I have the book. I don't see there's a difference, except that Weinberg is doing it all in second-quantized framework, and I was thinking in terms of Schrodinger. We both wind up in the same place, namely TpT-1 = -p, THT-1 = +H.

From my point of view, since xμ and kμ transform differently, k'·x' = - k·x, and to maintain the form ψ ~ exp(ik·x) you need to complex conjugate the wavefunction.

Can you elaborate? I completely don't understand what you said. Like I don't see why they are the same. and what does it have anything to do with second-quantization or schrodinger

The reason why the time-reversal transformation has to be antiunitary has been already given in posting 4. By assumption the Hamiltonian is an operator that is bounded from below (i.e., you have a state of minimal energy, i.e., a stable ground state). Then the calculation in posting 4 shows that necessarily the time-reversal operator must be antiunitary since, if you assume it to be unitary, the transformed Hamiltonian would be -H. If you have time-reversal symmetry, the eigenvalues time-reveresed Hamiltonian would have to be energy eigenvalues, but the eigenvalues of -H are usually not bounded from below since the free-particle Hamiltonian is not bounded from above and so -H cannot be bounded from below. By assumption, however, there must be a stable ground state, and thus the time-reversal operator must be antiunitary.

@vanhees:Thanks for the reply, but I'm not asking why T must be antiunitary , please read post 1 more carefully.

1. What is the concept of confusion (4) from Weinberg's QFT?

Confusion (4) is a term used in the field of quantum field theory (QFT) to describe a phenomenon where the time-reversed version of a physical process is indistinguishable from the original process. This means that if one were to reverse the direction of time in a particular physical process, the resulting outcome would still be the same.

2. How does confusion (4) relate to time reversal in QFT?

Confusion (4) is a direct consequence of the concept of time reversal in QFT. Time reversal refers to the idea that the laws of physics should remain the same even when the direction of time is reversed. Confusion (4) arises when a physical process satisfies this condition and is therefore indistinguishable from its time-reversed version.

3. Can you provide an example of confusion (4) in QFT?

One example of confusion (4) can be seen in the scattering of two particles, such as electrons. In this process, if we were to reverse the direction of time, the resulting outcome would still be the same. This is because the interactions between the particles are independent of the direction of time.

4. How does confusion (4) impact our understanding of time in physics?

Confusion (4) challenges our traditional understanding of time as a linear concept. In QFT, time is seen as a reversible dimension, and confusion (4) highlights the idea that the laws of physics should remain the same regardless of the direction of time. This has implications for our understanding of causality and the arrow of time.

5. How is confusion (4) relevant in current research in QFT?

Confusion (4) is a topic of ongoing research in QFT, particularly in relation to the study of quantum systems that exhibit time-reversal symmetry. Scientists are interested in understanding the implications of confusion (4) for various physical processes and how it may influence our understanding of fundamental laws of nature.