QFT, event amplitudes and reversed time....

In summary, the conversation touched on the topic of quantum field theory and the concept of reversed time. The authors of a paper mentioned that in QFT, localized and rapid events contain amplitudes that can be interpreted as taking place in reversed time, but this interpretation is not directly observable. There was confusion about whether this meant the overall result was fully causal and what defines an event as "rapid." There was also a discussion about anti-particles in Feynman diagrams and the idea that they may be particles going backwards in time. However, this is just a mathematical construct and there is no mechanism in QFT that changes the charge of particles. The conversation also mentioned reading a paper by Richard Muller and Shaun Maguire, but a link
asimov42
Hi all,

I've recently been reading a paper by Richard Muller and Shaun Maguire (which is not the exact topic of this post). In that work, the authors mention:

"We note that in quantum field theory, very small, localized and rapid events contain amplitudes that can be interpreted as taking place in reversed time. Such reversed time is not, however, directly observable. "

I'm somewhat confused by this - specifically, what interpretation the authors are referring to? Although the event may contain some amplitudes taking place in reversed time, the overall result is fully causal, correct? Also, what defines such as event as 'rapid'?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anti-particles in Feynman diagrams their direction of momenta in these diagrams is opposite to ordinary particles; so it seems they are going backward in time, but it's just a mathematical construct. No one knows if anti particles actaully do go backward in time.

If I were to radically postulate, anti-particles are particles which go backward in time; as in positron is actually an electron that goes backwards in time by some mechanism that changes its charge. That can possibly make sense if we only knew how to change the sign of particles' charge.

To the contrary of many popular-science source, the real thing, i.e., QFT is just using the opposite idea of being causal, i.e., there's nothing running backwards in time. The trick is to write creation operators in front of the negative-frequency modes in the mode decomposition of the quantum field, i.e., instead of something annihilating with negative energy you create something with positive energy, and everything is moving forward in time. The arrows on lines of charged particles in Feynman diagrams, i.e., for particles which are not their own antiparticles, indicates the flow of charge, not momentum, i.e., a Dirac-fermion line pointing out can either mean a particle going out (asymptotic free final state) or an antiparicle moving in (asymptotic initial state). The meaning of these diagrams are just mathematical expressions allowing you to calculate S-matrix elements describing transition probability rates for processes leading from a given asymptotic free initial to another given asymptotic free final state and thus allow to calculate cross sections that can be measured in the real world and compared to the theory.

asimov42 said:
I've recently been reading a paper by Richard Muller and Shaun Maguire

Please provide a link. We can't discuss the paper if we can't read it.

asimov42 said:
what interpretation the authors are referring to?

We have no way of telling unless we can read the paper and see the context.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
positron is actually an electron that goes backwards in time by some mechanism that changes its charge

There is no such mechanism in QFT. Please review the PF rules on personal speculation.

PeterDonis said:
There is no such mechanism in QFT. Please review the PF rules on personal speculation.
At least quote my post in its entirety.

Some might think that I argued that QFT posits what you quoted, where I undeniably wrote:"If I were to radically postulate..."

So we aren't entitled to our opinions?

At least quote my post in its entirety.

I only quoted the part that was problematic.

Some might think that I argued that QFT posits what you quoted

I didn't. Nor did I say so. If you were, your post would not be personal speculation, it would just be wrong.

I undeniably wrote:"If I were to radically postulate..."

Yes, and that is personal speculation. Unless you can reference a textbook or peer-reviewed paper.

we aren't entitled to our opinions?

You are, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily allowed topics for discussion here at PF. Again, please review the PF rules.

1. What is QFT and how is it related to event amplitudes?

QFT, or quantum field theory, is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles in a field. Event amplitudes, also known as scattering amplitudes, are mathematical quantities used to calculate the probability of particle interactions in QFT.

2. Can QFT explain phenomena involving reversed time?

QFT does not explicitly involve the concept of time, but it does allow for the possibility of particles moving backward in time. However, this does not necessarily imply that time can be reversed, as it is a mathematical construct used in calculations rather than a physical reality.

3. How are event amplitudes calculated in QFT?

Event amplitudes are calculated using Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of the possible particle interactions in a given scenario. These diagrams involve mathematical formulas, such as Feynman rules, to determine the amplitude of each possible event.

4. What is the role of event amplitudes in QFT experiments?

In QFT experiments, event amplitudes are used to calculate the likelihood of a particular particle interaction occurring. This information is then compared to experimental data to validate the predictions of QFT and further our understanding of particle behavior.

5. Can QFT and event amplitudes be applied to all physical phenomena?

QFT and event amplitudes are primarily used to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. While they have been successful in explaining many physical phenomena, there are still limitations to their applicability, particularly in extreme conditions such as black holes or the early universe.