Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion about linear equations

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone!

1. Is a linear equation the same as a polynomial of first(or 0th) degree?
    2. The book 'Mathematics for physicists and engineers' by springer(publisher) states that an example of a linear (DE) equation is 5.dy(x)/dx = x.y(x). Yet I read somewhere else that f(x,y)=a.x.y+b is not linear.(polynomial of 2nd degree).
    Is one them wrong? Or are both right because in the first example y is a depent variable while in the second example y is an independant variable?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2
    I think you have a language mix up here. The first equation is a linear differential equation, which means something different than linear equation in the basic algebraic sense.

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you denote the operator that takes a differentiable function f to its derivative f' by D, then your differential equation can be written as Df(x)=xf(x), or equivalently, as (D-Q)f=0, where I have defined a new operator Q by Qf(x)=xf(x). The equation (D-Q)f=0 is said to be linear because the operator D-Q is linear.

The function f defined by f(x,y)=axy+b is clearly not linear.

(Recall that a function T from a vector space to a vector space is said to be linear if T(ax+by)=aTx+bTy for all scalars a,b and all vectors x,y).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook