Confusion about the Killing form for A1

In summary, the author is having trouble working with the Killing form of A1 using A1 as an example. He starts with the structure factors and derives the adjoint representation. He then finds the Cartan subalgebra of A1 and writes the Killing form in the Cartan-Weyl basis. Finally, he asks for clarification on what the \delta ^{\alpha, -\beta} is supposed to be.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
This is a long one if you have to follow all of my steps. If you are reasonably familiar with Killing forms then you can probably just skip to the three questions.

Okay, I'm on my latest project which is to get some idea about how Dynkin diagrams and Coxeter labels work. (How do you pronounce "Coxeter" anyway?) I haven't got quite that far, but I'm not too far from it. But I'm having problems working with the Killing form using A1 as an example. I'm going to let you all what I know, but I'm also going to skip some steps that I don't believe are relevant for convenience. If you need more, just let me know.

Okay. A1 is a simple real Lie algebra over the field of complex numbers. There are three elements with Lie brackets \(\displaystyle [ H, E_{\pm} ] = \pm 2~E_{\pm}\) and \(\displaystyle [ E_+ , E_- ] = H\). Using \(\displaystyle \left( \begin{matrix} H \\ E_+ \\E_- \end{matrix} \right )\) as the basis (and calling H --> 1, \(\displaystyle E_+\) --> 2, and \(\displaystyle E_-\) --> 3 for ease of writing) we obtain the structure factors \(\displaystyle f^{23}_{~~~~1} = -f^{32}_{~~~~1} = 1\) and \(\displaystyle f^{12}_{~~~~2} = -f^{21}_{~~~~2} = - f^{13}_{~~~~3} = f^{31}_{~~~~3} = 2\).

The adjoint representation is simple to derive from here using \(\displaystyle \left ( R_{ad} \left ( T^a \right ) \right )_b^{~c} = f^{ac}_{~~~~b}\). I don't see the need to list them explicitly, so I'll move on.

From the structure factors we can write the Killing form for A1 by use of the formula: \(\displaystyle \kappa ^{ab} = \frac{1}{I_{ad}} \left ( f^{ae}_{~~~~c} ~ f^{bc}_{~~~~e} \right )\) (summation convention implied.) \(\displaystyle I_{ad}\) is the Dynkin index of the adjoint representation, whatever that means. After a bit of work the Killing form for A1 is
\(\displaystyle \kappa = \frac{1}{I_{ad}} \left ( \begin{matrix} 8 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 &4 \\ 0 & 4 & 0 \end{matrix} \right )\)

At this point I start coming into my first question.
Since for any simple Lie algebra over \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\), \(\displaystyle \kappa\) is non-degenerate, an appropriate choice of basis brings \(\displaystyle \kappa\) to the Canonical diagonal form:
\(\displaystyle \left ( \begin{matrix} 1_p & 0 \\ 0 & -1_q \end{matrix} \right )\)
Question: I am working over the field of complex numbers, not the reals. As it happens the Killing form I have is non-degenerate and can be brought into the mentioned form. Is this chance or am I misinterpreting what they mean by "over \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\)?"

Question: Splitting the above (adjoint representation) Killing form into eigenvectors/values I can write it in the form given in the quote. But when I rewrite the basis this way the resulting algebra no longer has the same structure factors. I would have thought that any representation of the Lie algebra would always have the same structure factors? Why would changing the basis change the structure factors?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm going to list a few things that are simple enough to calculate. I'll give you the blow by blow and get to my final question.

The (only) Cartan subalgebra of A1 is \(\displaystyle g_0 = \{ H \}\), with \(\displaystyle r = rank(A1) = dim(g_0) = 1\). This means we can split the adjoint representation of A1 into a direct sum of one dimensional representations \(\displaystyle g \leadsto \bigoplus _{\alpha} g^{\alpha}\) where \(\displaystyle g^{\alpha} = \{ x \in A1 ~ | ~ ad_{H}(x) = \alpha (H) \cdot x \} = g_0 \oplus g^2 \oplus g^{-2}\)

and \(\displaystyle [ H, E^{\alpha} ] = \alpha E^{\alpha}\). From the Lie brackets we get two values of \(\displaystyle \alpha\) and thus we have the root system (of A1 over \(\displaystyle g_0\)) \(\displaystyle \Phi = \left ( \begin{matrix} 2 \\ -2 \end{matrix} \right )\). This gives (finally!) the Cartan-Weyl basis of A1: \(\displaystyle \beta = \{ H \cup \{E^2, ~E^{-2} \} \}\). (\(\displaystyle E^2 = E_+, ~E^{-2} = E_-\)). This is actually the basis I started with which makes the next part very confusing to me.

Finally we get to the last question. My text says that the Killing form in the Cartan-Weyl basis can be written as (after a normalization of the basis)
\(\displaystyle \kappa = \frac{1}{I_{ad}} \left ( \begin{matrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & \delta ^{\alpha, ~-\beta} \end{matrix} \right )\)

Question: What the heck is the \(\displaystyle \delta ^{\alpha, -\beta}\) supposed to be? For A1 I can intuit \(\displaystyle \alpha = 2 \text{ and } -\beta = -(-2) = 2\) from the root system so \(\displaystyle \kappa\) in the Cartan-Weyl basis is just the 3x3 identity matrix. but the Cartan-Weyl basis is just the basis I used at the beginning and the Killing form of the adjoint representation is not the same as the identity, even looking at an appropriate normalization of the basis. It looks more like the the Killing form in the quote...it has a signature of ++-. Where did I go wrong?

-Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, let's break this up a little.

My text says that \(\displaystyle SL(2, \mathbb{C})\) is isomorphic to \(\displaystyle A_1\). But by a choice of basis we find that \(\displaystyle SL(2, \mathbb{C} )\) is isomorphic to \(\displaystyle SU(2) \oplus SU(2)\). This means that \(\displaystyle A_1\) is isomorphic to \(\displaystyle SU(2) \oplus SU(2)\). The problem I'm having is this: \(\displaystyle A_1\) has no proper ideals but \(\displaystyle SU(2) \oplus SU(2)\) seems to have one: \(\displaystyle 1 \oplus SU(2)\). So how can \(\displaystyle A_1\) be isomorphic to \(\displaystyle SU(2) \oplus SU(2)\)?

-Dan

Okay, I've gotten somewhere anyway. \(\displaystyle SL(2, \mathbb{C} )\) is isomorphic to \(\displaystyle SU(2) \oplus SU(2)\) because \(\displaystyle SL(2, \mathbb{C} )\) is the complexification of two real Lie algebras. And \(\displaystyle 1 \oplus SU(2)\) is a subalgegra, not an ideal so that problem is fixed.

My next level of confusion is the notation \(\displaystyle \delta ^{\alpha, -\beta}\) appearing in the matrix in the OP near the bottom. Is this a Kronecker delta of some kind? Or is \(\displaystyle \delta ^{\alpha, -\beta}\) meant to represent a block matrix?

-Dan

I'm thinking too hard. In 3D:

\(\displaystyle \delta ^{\alpha, -\beta} = \left ( \begin{matrix} 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \end{matrix} \right )\)

I still have one question left in this thread but I'm going open a new one on the topic.

-Dan

1. What is the Killing form for A1?

The Killing form for A1 is a bilinear form defined on the Lie algebra A1, which is a one-dimensional vector space with a single basis element. It takes in two elements of A1 and outputs a scalar value.

2. How is the Killing form calculated for A1?

Since A1 has only one basis element, the Killing form is simply the product of the two elements multiplied by a constant. This constant is known as the Killing constant and is typically denoted by k. Therefore, the Killing form for A1 is given by k(a, b) = kab, where a and b are elements of A1.

3. What is the significance of the Killing form for A1 in Lie algebra theory?

The Killing form for A1 is not very significant in Lie algebra theory as it is a very simple and trivial case. However, it does serve as a basis for understanding the more complex Killing forms for higher-dimensional Lie algebras.

4. Can the Killing form for A1 be non-degenerate?

No, the Killing form for A1 is always degenerate, meaning that there exist non-zero elements a and b in A1 such that k(a, b) = 0. This is because A1 is a one-dimensional vector space, so any two non-zero elements will be linearly dependent and therefore their product will be zero.

5. How does the Killing constant affect the properties of the Killing form for A1?

The value of the Killing constant does not affect the properties of the Killing form for A1 as it simply scales the output of the form. However, the choice of the Killing constant can affect the properties of the Killing form for higher-dimensional Lie algebras, as it is used in the definition of the Cartan-Killing metric which is used to classify semi-simple Lie algebras.