Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion over the definition of Lie Derivative of a Vector Field

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    Hello all, I was hoping someone would be able to clarify this issue I am having with the Lie Derivative of a vector field.

We define the lie derivative of a vector field [itex]Y[/itex] with respect to a vector field [itex]X[/itex] to be

[itex]L_X Y :=\operatorname{\frac{d}{dt}} |_{t=0} (\phi_t^*Y)[/itex], where [itex]\phi_t[/itex] is the flow of [itex]X[/itex]. Now how do I know this thing is differentiable? And also, I'm not sure why this thing is a vector field on [itex]M[/itex] because what if our flow is only defined on a smaller open set [itex] V \subseteq M[/itex], and then for [itex] p \in M\setminus V[/itex] surely [itex](L_X Y)_p[/itex] doesn't make sense as a vector in [itex]T_p M[/itex] ?

Anyway thank you, any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First concern: You know that phi varies smoothly with t. Go through the definitions to discover that wrt some fixed basis d/dx^i of T_pM, [itex]((\phi_t)_*Y)(p)=\sum_ia_i(t,p)\frac{ \partial}{ \partial x^i}[/itex] with a_i(t,p) smooth in t.

Second concern: the flow of any time-independant vector field is defined at all points p of M for a certain time interval [itex](-\epsilon_p,\epsilon_p)[/itex]

4. Oct 31, 2011 #3
    Thanks for your response. I understand the 2nd concern but I still have trouble with the first. I cannot see why that statement is true. I know that [itex]\phi_t ^* Y[/itex] is a vector field, so [itex]\phi_t^* Y |_p \in T_p M[/itex] , i.e.

[itex]\phi_t^* Y |_p = \displaystyle\sum_i a_i^t (p) \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i }\Big|_p[/itex] where for fixed [itex]t[/itex], [itex]p \mapsto a_i^t (p) [/itex] is smooth. But why for fixed [itex]p[/itex], is [itex] t \mapsto a_i^t(p) [/itex] smooth?

I have that [itex]\phi_t^* Y |_p (g) = Y(g \circ \phi_t ^{-1})|_{\phi_t(p)} [/itex] incidentally. Thanks for any help

5. Oct 31, 2011 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're not "going through the definitions" deep enough. What I was suggesting is for you to find an explicit expression for the a_i(t,p).

6. Oct 31, 2011 #5
    Hello I have tried to do this using the Jacobian but I am not getting anywhere at all

7. Oct 31, 2011 #6
    Hello,

I have managed to calculate that

[itex]\phi_{-t}^*\left( \displaystyle\frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} \Bigg|_{\phi_t(p)} \right)= \displaystyle\sum_{i,j} \frac{\partial \phi^i}{\partial x_j}(-t, \phi_t(p)) \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} \Bigg|_p [/itex],

although in Loring Tu's book the same calculation gives

[itex]\phi_{-t}^*\left( \displaystyle\frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} \Bigg|_{\phi_t(p)} \right)= \displaystyle\sum_{i,j} \frac{\partial \phi^i}{\partial x_j}(-t, p) \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} \Bigg|_p [/itex].

Which is correct, and should it matter in the argument?

Thanks for help so far.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook