Confusion over transposing formulae question

In summary, when rearranging formulas, you can add or subtract the same thing to both sides or multiply or divide both sides by the same thing. This can be a number, parameter, or variable. Mistakes in rearranging often come from forgetting to perform the same action on both sides or making a calculation error.
Buggsy GC
Hello I'm working through transposing formulae of pearsons Anthony Croft and Robert Davidson's foundation maths 5th edition and I'm stuck on exercise 10.1 question 1)e)
We're it states that I must transpose the formula to make x the subject.
The formula is y = ¹/₂x and the answer x = ¹/₂y
I don't understand how they got this answer. As I did the working as
E)y = 1/2x
× 2
(2)(y) = ⁽¹⁾/₍₂₎x × ⁽²⁾/₍₁₎
2y = x
I base this way of a working off another question which I got correct
D)y = (¹)/(₂)(x - 7)
+ 7
y + 7 = ¹/₂x
× 2
(2)(y + 7) = ⁽¹⁾/₍₂₎x × ⁽²⁾/₍₁₎
2y + 14 = x
x = 2y + 14
If I am missing some rule that I'm meant to implement or if there is a error in the textbook your advise would be greatly appreciated.
Yours sincerely Buggsy

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Buggsy GC said:
E)y = 1/2x
× 2
(2)(y) = ⁽¹⁾/₍₂₎x × ⁽²⁾/₍₁₎
2y = x
That is correct.
D)y = (¹)/(₂)(x - 7)
+ 7
y + 7 = ¹/₂x
That step is incorrect at the right side.

Try x=7 and see if you can find a value for y such that both the initial and the final formula are right.
Buggsy GC said:
The formula is y = ¹/₂x and the answer x = ¹/₂y
That does not make sense.

If ##y = \frac{1}{2x}## then ##x = \frac{1}{2y}## is correct.

Try ##x = 1## for example.

I didn't expect x and y to be in the denominator.

I know but look
IMG_1479155097.809314.jpg
IMG_1479155113.861736.jpg

Pardon me Perok can you take a picture of your working and post it, for some reason your post shows up on my screen as a bunch of hashtags and letters.
Thank you

Buggsy GC said:
Pardon me Perok can you take a picture of your working and post it, for some reason your post shows up on my screen as a bunch of hashtags and letters.
Thank you
I'm sorry to tell you I did it in my head!

Hint: multiply by ##x## to start.

So it look like this https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/108916
Ok second question how did you know to start with x not to just repeat the same action I used to get rid of the 1/2x in question d)
We're the answer was x =2y + 14 were the original formula was y = ¹/₂x - 7

Buggsy GC said:
So it look like this https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/108916
Ok second question how did you know to start with x not to just repeat the same action I used to get rid of the 1/2x in question d)
We're the answer was x =2y + 14 were the original formula was y = ¹/₂x - 7
That last equation is very different. That is

##y = \frac{x}{2} - 7##

I'm sorry this taking a while but can tell me is there a rule I should remember or an order of operation when rearranging formulas as I' m getting different answers depending on how I start to balance the equation even if I balance both sides all the way through

Question e) and d) 10.1

Buggsy GC said:
I'm sorry this taking a while but can tell me is there a rule I should remember or an order of operation when rearranging formulas as I' m getting different answers depending on how I start to balance the equation even if I balance both sides all the way through

That simply means you are making a mistake. There are no rules except you can: a) add the same thing to both sides of the equation; or, b) multiply both sides of the equation by the same thing. That same thing can be a number, such as ##2## a parameter, such as ##a##, or a variable, such as ##x##.

For example:

##y = ax + b##

##y-b = ax## (added ##-b## to both sides, which is the same thing as subtracting ##b##)

##\frac{y-b}{a} = x## (multiplied both sides by ##\frac{1}{a}##, which is the same as dividing by ##a##)

Another example is:

##y = \frac{1}{x}##

##xy = 1## (muliplied both sides by ##x##)

##x = \frac{1}{y}## (divided both sides by ##y##)

1. What is a transposed formula?

A transposed formula is an algebraic equation that has been rearranged to solve for a different variable than the original equation. This is commonly done to simplify and solve equations in mathematics and science.

2. Why do people get confused when transposing formulae?

Transposing formulae can be confusing because it involves manipulating equations and rearranging variables, which can be challenging to some individuals. Additionally, mistakes can easily be made when substituting values or combining terms, leading to further confusion.

3. How can I avoid confusion when transposing formulae?

To avoid confusion when transposing formulae, it is important to have a solid understanding of algebraic concepts and the rules for manipulating equations. Double-checking your work and practicing with different equations can also help improve your skills and minimize confusion.

4. Can transposed formulae be used in real-world applications?

Yes, transposed formulae are used in many real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. These equations are often used to solve for unknown variables in complex systems, making them an essential tool in many scientific fields.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when transposing formulae?

Yes, there are common mistakes to avoid when transposing formulae. These include incorrect substitution of values, forgetting to apply the distributive property, and making errors while manipulating fractions. It is important to carefully check your work and be aware of these common mistakes to avoid them.