Solving the Heart Curve Equation: 'y =

• B
  • Thread starter pairofstrings
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve Heart
In summary: The terms a, b, c, d, e, and f are coefficients that determine the shape, size, and orientation of the conic section. The term "xy" in this equation indicates that the curve is not symmetrical about the x-axis or y-axis, unlike in the case of "x2" and "y2" which would indicate a symmetrical curve.If the coefficient "b" is equal to 0, then the curve will be symmetrical about either the x-axis or y-axis, depending on the values of "a" and "c". If both "a" and "c" are equal, then the
pairofstrings
TL;DR Summary
I found the following heart curve on web:
x[SUP]6[/SUP] + 3x[SUP]4[/SUP]y[SUP]2[/SUP] - 3x[SUP]4[/SUP] + 3x[SUP]2[/SUP]y[SUP]4[/SUP] - x[SUP]2[/SUP]y[SUP]3[/SUP] - 6x[SUP]2[/SUP]y[SUP]2[/SUP] + 3x[SUP]2[/SUP] + y[SUP]6[/SUP] - 3y[SUP]4[/SUP] + 3y[SUP]2[/SUP] = 1
Hello.

I am trying to write the equation of this heart curve as 'y = '.
So the following is my attempt to form that equation: 1 = 1/y (x6y + 3x4y3 - 3x4y + 3x2y5 - x2y4 - 6x2y3 + 3x2y + y7 - 3y5 + 3y3)

Here, the graph of the above equation looks like this:
webheart.png

Now, next I should write it as 'y = ' but the problem is as I rewrite the above equation as y = x6y + 3x4y3 - 3x4y + 3x2y5 - x2y4 - 6x2y3 + 3x2y + y7 - 3y5 + 3y3

I get the curve correctly but there is a line going across the curve horizontally like this:

yequalstoheart.png

Question: How do I get rid of the line (green) from the above heart curve?

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why do you want it as y= something? The other side includes y as well so you haven't actually made your life easier.

There is no a single value of y for any given x, hence in is not a function of x, ##y \neq f(x)##. It is a parametric equation, same as ##x^2 + y^2 = 1## to describe a circle.

DrClaude said:
There is no a single value of y for any given x, hence in is not a function of x, y≠f(x). It is a parametric equation, same as x2+y2=1 to describe a circle.

I am not able to understand "There is no single value of 'y' for any given 'x'".

I see that you've said that it is a parametric equation.
I searched web to find different types of equations.
I found:

Different Types of Equations
  • Quadratic Equation.
  • Linear Equation.
  • Radical Equation.
  • Exponential Equation.
  • Rational Equation.
In the list above there is no mention that there is a parametric equation as one of the types of equation.

Can you please list different types of equation?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You can't write this as y=f(x) because given an x value, there are multiple y values (pick an x value, draw a vertical line z observe you often hit the curve twice).

You wrote something that is of the form y=f(x,y). When you did so you introduced an extra factor of y which is why you got that line. It might be fixable, but first, why do you even care about writing it in this form?

To simplify the example, suppose you have the vertical line x=1. You can multiply both sides by y and get y=xy. This has the vertical line as a solution, but also y=0 is a solution for any x so you will add a horizontal line to the graph. It also doesn't give y as a function of x (no such function exists!) So it's not clear why you would want to do this anyway.

Likes hutchphd
pairofstrings said:
n the list above there is no mention that there is a parametric equation as one of the types of equation.
You must not have searched very hard. Here's a wiki page on parametric equations: Parametric equation - Wikipedia

pairofstrings said:
Different Types of Equations
  • Quadratic Equation.
  • Linear Equation.
  • Radical Equation.
  • Exponential Equation.
  • Rational Equation.
In the list above there is no mention that there is a parametric equation as one of the types of equation.

Can you please list different types of equation?
That's a different "type of type".
As an analogy, you can group cars into red cars, blue cars, white cars, ... and you'll never find a Mazda in that list, because grouping cars by manufacturer is a different list.

The types you found are all descriptions how e.g. y can depend on x - if every value of x leads to a unique value of y.
In a parametric equation (or set of equations) you add a new variable - a parameter - and then have x and y both depend on that parameter. In that case a single value of x can have two or more corresponding values of y.
pairofstrings said:
I searched web to find different types of equations.
Just clicking the link you quoted would have been sufficient.

@DrClaude: It is not a parametric equation. Where is the parameter? It is locally an implicit function, however.

equationforms.png

The last one is Parametric Form.
(x-m)2 + (y-n)2 = r2 is standard form of an equation of circle.
What is Input form?
a x2 + b xy + c y2 + d x + e y = f is general form of equation of circle.
What happens if there is no 'b xy' in general form of equation of circle?
What is 'b xy'?

Last edited:
In the equation below (heart curve):
1607010481272.png

In the heart curve, I see that there is term like 'b xy' occurring too often.
To understand what 'b xy' is, let's look into the equation: 1 = x + y + xy.

1 = x + y + xy; it means x = 1, y = 1, and xy = 1
The graph looks like this for the equation that has no 'xy' in the equation 1 = x + y.

To plot x = 1 I can move 1 unit to right and to plot y = 1 I can move 1 unit up.
Hence, the following curve.
noxy.png

Now, how to move with 'xy' in 1 = x + y + xy the way I moved with x = 1 and y = 1 in 1 = x + y (I moved 1 unit to right and 1 unit up here, how will I move with xy here) to get the following curve? Why the impact of 'xy' in the equation 1 = x + y + xy is the way it is in the following graph? How is 'xy' in the equation 1 = x + y + xy affecting the graph 1 = x + y? How do I move with 'xy' (in equation 1 = x + y, I moved 1 unit right and 1 unit up, therefore it's 1 = x + y)? How do I move with 'xy' in 1 = x + y + xy?

withxy.png

Thanks.

Last edited:
pairofstrings said:
What is Input form?
No idea. I don't know what program you are using. I suggest that you read the documentation for this program
pairofstrings said:
a x2 + b xy + c y2 + d x + e y = f is general form of equation of circle.
No, it is not. This is the general form of what's called a conic section. Depending on the values of the coefficients a, b, c, d, e, and f, the equation could be that of a circle, ellipse, parabola, or hyperbola or even a straight line. Some calculus textbooks include a section on analytic geometry, which would discuss these kinds of figures.
pairofstrings said:
What happens if there is no 'b xy' in general form of equation of circle?
What is 'b xy'?
The b coefficient determines whether and how much a basic conic section has been rotated. If b = 0, there has been no rotation.

pairofstrings said:
In the heart curve, I see that there is term like 'b xy' occurring too often.
To understand what 'b xy' is, let's look into the equation: 1 = x + y + xy.

1 = x + y + xy; it means x = 1, y = 1, and xy = 1
Clearly this is not true.
If x = 1, y = 1, then xy = 1, so you have 1 = 1 + 1 + 1, which is not true.
pairofstrings said:
To plot x = 1 I can move 1 unit to right and to plot y = 1 I can move 1 unit up.
Hence, the following curve.
Well, the graph is correct, but your analysis of how to get it is incorrect. If you aren't able to figure out how to graph the simple equation x + y = 1 without using computer software, you are completely wasting your time trying to figure our what the graph of x + xy + y = 1 looks like.

Likes Vanadium 50
Mark44 said:
the equation could be that of a circle, ellipse, parabola, or hyperbola or even a straight line.

Or two straight lines!

Vanadium 50 said:
Or two straight lines!
I thought of that situation, but didn't include it, given the level of knowledge of the OP. That case would technically be a degenerate hyperbola, which in the simplest form (i.e., unrotated) would be ##x^2 - y^2 = 0##. This equation is equivalent to ##y^2 - x^2 = 0##

Are we using PEDMAS or BODMAS in the following equation to get the heart curve graph?
Are we practicing PEDMAS or BODMAS in the following equation to obtain the heart curve graph?
Are we adhering to PODMAS or BODMAS in the following equation to obtain the heart curve graph?

Equation:
x6 + 3x4y2 - 3x4 + 3x2y4 - x2y3 - 6x2y2 + 3x2 + y6 - 3y4 + 3y2 = 1

Last edited:
I've never heard of bodmas before but Google says it's the same as pemdas. So I guess the answer is... Yes.

• Haha
Likes etotheipi
Office_Shredder said:
You wrote something that is of the form y=f(x,y). When you did so you introduced an extra factor of y which is why you got that line. It might be fixable, but first, why do you even care about writing it in this form?

The graph of the equation 1 = x + y is easy to draw. It says 'x' is 1 and 'y' is 1.
Therefore, I can plot the point at x = 1 and y = 1.

For the graph of the equation 1 = x y is there any short method to plot it?

• Skeptical
Likes DaveE
(1,1) is not a point on the curve 1=x+y so I'm not sure what you mean there.

pairofstrings said:
The graph of the equation 1 = x + y is easy to draw. It says 'x' is 1 and 'y' is 1.
Therefore, I can plot the point at x = 1 and y = 1.
NO!
You've already said this, and I answered it a month ago, in post 11.
pairofstrings said:
For the graph of the equation 1 = x y is there any short method to plot it?
wolframalpha...
But I would recommend you get a precalculus textbook, one that discusses how to graph simple functions and geometric curves.

If you don't know how to sketch a graph of x + y = 1, you have absolutely no hope of being able to graph something way more complicated like the one you started this thread with.

Last edited:
I think we're done here, so am closing this thread. It's pointless to discuss the graph of a fairly high-degree polynomial when the OP doesn't understand how to graph a straight line.

@pairofstrings, after you have studied or reviewed how to graph simple curves, please start a new thread.

1. What is the Heart Curve Equation and why is it important?

The Heart Curve Equation, also known as the cardioid curve, is a mathematical equation that creates a shape resembling a heart when graphed. It is important because it is an example of a parametric curve and can be used to model various real-world phenomena, such as the motion of planets and the shape of sound waves.

2. How do you solve the Heart Curve Equation?

To solve the Heart Curve Equation, you must first understand its components. The equation is in the form of y = a(1 + cosθ), where a is the radius of the curve and θ is the angle. To graph the equation, you can plot points by substituting different values for θ and calculating the corresponding values for y. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the curve.

3. What are the applications of the Heart Curve Equation?

The Heart Curve Equation has various applications in science, engineering, and art. It can be used to model planetary motion, sound waves, and even the shape of some musical instruments. In art, the Heart Curve Equation has been used to create heart-shaped designs and sculptures.

4. Are there any real-life examples of the Heart Curve Equation?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of the Heart Curve Equation. One of the most well-known examples is the motion of planets around the sun, which follows a cardioid path. Additionally, the shape of sound waves and the motion of a pendulum can also be modeled using the Heart Curve Equation.

5. How does the Heart Curve Equation relate to other mathematical concepts?

The Heart Curve Equation is related to other mathematical concepts such as trigonometry and parametric equations. It can also be transformed into other shapes, such as a circle or a spiral, by manipulating its components. Additionally, the Heart Curve Equation is a special case of the more general equation for a cardioid, r = a(1 + cosθ), where r is the distance from the origin and a is the radius of the curve.