Confusion related to momentum eigenstates

In summary: This is the correct way to expand the state |p> in the position basis, because the position eigenstates |x> form a complete basis, i.e. every state can be expanded in terms of them. In summary, the normalization condition for infinite-dimensional bases, such as the position and momentum eigenstates, is given by <x|x'>=δ(x-x'). When we project the momentum operator onto the position basis, we obtain a differential equation that can be solved to find the wave function for the momentum eigenstate. The proper way to expand a state into the position basis is by operating the identity operator on the ket. This will result in a correctly normalized expansion without any diverging factors.
amjad-sh
When we deal with an infinite-dimensional basis,the normalization condition of this basis becomes <x|x'>=δ(x-x')(here for example the position basis).Same thing for momentum eigenstates <p|p'>=δ(p-p').
Lets look now on the eigenvalue problem of the momentum operator:
[itex]\hat p | p \rangle =p | p\rangle [/itex]
projecting [itex]\langle x |[/itex] on both sides this will yield to a differential equation of the form :

[itex]-iħ\frac{d\psi_{p}(x)}{dx}=p\psi_{p}(x)[/itex]

where [itex]\psi_{p}(x)=\langle x | p\rangle[/itex]

this will finally yield that [itex]\psi_{p}(x)=\frac{1}{√(2πħ)}e^{ipx/ħ}[/itex]

so [itex] | p \rangle \leftrightarrow \frac{1}{√2πħ} (e^{ ipx_{1} } | x_{1} \rangle +e^{ ipx_{2} } |x_{2} \rangle+ . . . . . +e^{ ipx_{n} } | x_{n} \rangle)[/itex] where n goes to infinity and [itex]x_{n}=x_{n-1}+dx[/itex]
but doesn't this violate<x|x'>=δ(x-x')? since if we project,for example,<x1| on |p> and we take by consideration δ(x-x')=<x|x'>, the result will be <x|p>=∞ and not [itex]\frac{1}{√2πħ}e^{ ipx_{1} }[/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand what you mean with the last paragraph. The consistency between the generalized position and momentum eigen bases is given by a well-known theorem in Fourier analysis:
$$\langle x|x' \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} p \langle x|p \rangle \langle p|x' \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} p \frac{1}{2 \pi \hbar} \exp[\mathrm{i} p(x-x')/\hbar]=\delta(x-x').$$

vanhees71 said:
I do not understand what you mean with the last paragraph.

I mean multiply <x1| by |p> , the result will be 1/√(2πħ) *exp(ipx1)*<x1|x1> and as <x1|x1>=∞ then <x1|p>=∞ and not 1/√(2πħ)*exp(ipx1).

amjad-sh said:
##| p \rangle \leftrightarrow \frac{1}{√2πħ} (e^{ ipx_{1} } | x_{1} \rangle +e^{ ipx_{2} } |x_{2} \rangle+ . . . . . +e^{ ipx_{n} } | x_{n} \rangle)##
That's where the mistake lies because that's not the proper way to expand a state into position basis. You should instead operate the identity operator ##1 = \int |x\rangle \langle x| dx## to the ket ##|p\rangle##.
$$
|p\rangle = \int |x\rangle \langle x|p\rangle dx
$$
You can easily see if you project this onto certain position basis ##|x'\rangle##, you will obtain what you want.

Likes bhobba and amjad-sh
amjad-sh said:
I mean multiply <x1| by |p> , the result will be 1/√(2πħ) *exp(ipx1)*<x1|x1> and as <x1|x1>=∞ then <x1|p>=∞ and not 1/√(2πħ)*exp(ipx1).
I don't understand your math at all. As you have derived correctly yourself, the generalized momentum eigenstates in the position representation read
$$u_p(x)=\langle x|p \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \exp(\mathrm{i} p x)$$
without any undetermined (diverging) factors.

1. What are momentum eigenstates?

Momentum eigenstates are quantum states that have a definite value for momentum. They are represented by a specific momentum value and are described by a wavefunction that is a solution to the Schrödinger equation.

2. How is momentum related to uncertainty?

Momentum and uncertainty are related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less precisely we can know its position, and vice versa. This means that momentum eigenstates have a high degree of uncertainty in their position.

3. How do momentum eigenstates differ from position eigenstates?

Momentum eigenstates and position eigenstates are two different types of quantum states. While momentum eigenstates have a definite value for momentum, position eigenstates have a definite value for position. In other words, position eigenstates have a well-defined location, while momentum eigenstates have a well-defined momentum.

4. What is the significance of momentum eigenstates in quantum mechanics?

Momentum eigenstates are important in quantum mechanics because they form a basis for describing the motion of particles. They allow us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems and are essential in understanding the wave-particle duality of matter.

5. How are momentum eigenstates observed in experiments?

Momentum eigenstates are observed indirectly through the measurement of momentum-related quantities, such as energy or velocity. For example, the double-slit experiment can be used to observe the wave-like behavior of particles, which is related to their momentum eigenstate. Directly observing a momentum eigenstate is not possible, as it would require measuring both the position and momentum of a particle with complete precision, which violates the uncertainty principle.