Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion related to momentum eigenstates

1. Jan 31, 2016 #1
    When we deal with an infinite-dimensional basis,the normalization condition of this basis becomes <x|x'>=δ(x-x')(here for example the position basis).Same thing for momentum eigenstates <p|p'>=δ(p-p').
    Lets look now on the eigenvalue problem of the momentum operator:
    [itex]\hat p | p \rangle =p | p\rangle [/itex]
    projecting [itex]\langle x |[/itex] on both sides this will yield to a differential equation of the form :

[itex]-iħ\frac{d\psi_{p}(x)}{dx}=p\psi_{p}(x)[/itex]

where [itex]\psi_{p}(x)=\langle x | p\rangle[/itex]

this will finally yield that [itex]\psi_{p}(x)=\frac{1}{√(2πħ)}e^{ipx/ħ}[/itex]

so [itex] | p \rangle \leftrightarrow \frac{1}{√2πħ} (e^{ ipx_{1} } | x_{1} \rangle +e^{ ipx_{2} } |x_{2} \rangle+ . . . . . +e^{ ipx_{n} } | x_{n} \rangle)[/itex] where n goes to infinity and [itex]x_{n}=x_{n-1}+dx[/itex]
    but doesn't this violate<x|x'>=δ(x-x')? since if we project,for example,<x1| on |p> and we take by consideration δ(x-x')=<x|x'>, the result will be <x|p>=∞ and not [itex]\frac{1}{√2πħ}e^{ ipx_{1} }[/itex] ???

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I do not understand what you mean with the last paragraph. The consistency between the generalized position and momentum eigen bases is given by a well-known theorem in Fourier analysis:
    $$\langle x|x' \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} p \langle x|p \rangle \langle p|x' \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} p \frac{1}{2 \pi \hbar} \exp[\mathrm{i} p(x-x')/\hbar]=\delta(x-x').$$

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3
    I mean multiply <x1| by |p> , the result will be 1/√(2πħ) *exp(ipx1)*<x1|x1> and as <x1|x1>=∞ then <x1|p>=∞ and not 1/√(2πħ)*exp(ipx1).

5. Jan 31, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's where the mistake lies because that's not the proper way to expand a state into position basis. You should instead operate the identity operator ##1 = \int |x\rangle \langle x| dx## to the ket ##|p\rangle##.
    $$
    |p\rangle = \int |x\rangle \langle x|p\rangle dx
    $$
    You can easily see if you project this onto certain position basis ##|x'\rangle##, you will obtain what you want.

6. Feb 1, 2016 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't understand your math at all. As you have derived correctly yourself, the generalized momentum eigenstates in the position representation read
    $$u_p(x)=\langle x|p \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \exp(\mathrm{i} p x)$$
    without any undetermined (diverging) factors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook