Translating the harmonic oscillator

In summary, if you want to find the linear combination of the wavefunctions corresponding to a given state, you can use the Fourier-decomposition method.
ergospherical
Let's say I know the position space wavefunctions of the 1d harmonic oscillator ##\psi_n(x)## corresponding to the state ##| n \rangle## are known. I want to write ##\psi_m(x + a)##, for fixed ##m = 1,2,...##, in terms of all of the ##\psi_n(x)##. I know \begin{align*}
\psi_n(x+a) = \langle x | e^{-iaP}| n \rangle &= \int \langle x | e^{-iaP} | p \rangle \langle p | n \rangle dp \\
&= \int e^{-iap} \langle x | p \rangle \bar{\psi}_n(p) dp \\
&= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int e^{i(x-a)p} \bar{\psi}_n(p) dp
\end{align*}To get it in terms of ##\psi_n(x)## we could Fourier transform, i.e. (?)
\begin{align*}
\psi_n(x+a) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \iint e^{ip(x-x')} e^{-iap} \psi_n(x') dx' dp
\end{align*}It doesn't really look helpful?

Physics news on Phys.org
ergospherical said:
Let's say I know the position space wavefunctions of the 1d harmonic oscillator ##\psi_n(x)## corresponding to the state ##| n \rangle## are known. I want to write ##\psi_m(x + a)##, for fixed ##m = 1,2,...##, in terms of all of the ##\psi_n(x)##. I know \begin{align*}
\psi_n(x+a) = \langle x | e^{-iaP}| n \rangle &= \int \langle x | e^{-iaP} | p \rangle \langle p | n \rangle dp \\
&= \int e^{-iap} \langle x | p \rangle \bar{\psi}_n(p) dp \\
&= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int e^{i(x-a)p} \bar{\psi}_n(p) dp
\end{align*}[/tex]
This appears to be related to the fourier shift theorem (see row 102 of the table here).

If you want [itex]\psi_n(x + a)[/itex] as a linear combination of the [itex]\psi_n[/itex], then look for one. Set [tex]
\psi_n(x + a) = \sum_{m} M_{nm} \psi_m(x)[/tex] and take an appropriate inner product with [itex]\psi_k(x)[/itex] (ideally one with repect to which the [itex]\psi_k[/itex] are orthogonal) to determine the [itex]M_{nm}[/itex], [tex]
\int w(x)\psi_n(x + a)\bar{\psi}_k(x)\,dx = \sum_m M_{nm} \int w(x)\psi_m(x)\bar{\psi}_k(x)\,dx.[/tex]

Likes ergospherical
As you can easily see yourself, using your Fourier-decomposition method, you simply got the sign wrong in the very first exponential-operator expression, i.e., you have
$$\langle x|\exp(+\mathrm{i} \hat{p} a) \psi_n \rangle = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} p \langle x | p \rangle \langle p |\exp(\mathrm{i} \hat{p} a) \psi_n \rangle = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} p \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \exp(\mathrm{i} p x) \exp(\mathrm{i} p a) \langle p |\psi_n \rangle = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} p \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \exp[\mathrm{i} p(x+a)] \langle p|\psi_n \rangle= \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} p \langle x+a|p \rangle \langle p|\psi_n \rangle= \psi_n(x+a).$$

Likes Demystifier

1. What is the harmonic oscillator?

The harmonic oscillator is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a system that has a force acting on it that is proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to model a wide range of systems, including pendulums, springs, and molecular vibrations.

2. How is the harmonic oscillator translated?

The harmonic oscillator can be translated by applying a transformation to its equations of motion. This transformation can include changing the variables used, such as position and velocity, or modifying the parameters in the equations, such as the mass and spring constant. These translations can help to better understand the behavior of the system or to model more complex systems.

3. What are some common translations of the harmonic oscillator?

Some common translations of the harmonic oscillator include adding damping, which accounts for energy loss in the system, and adding an external driving force, which can cause the system to oscillate at a different frequency. Other translations can include changing the potential energy function or adding nonlinear terms to the equations of motion.

4. How is the harmonic oscillator used in real-world applications?

The harmonic oscillator is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in engineering for designing structures that can withstand vibrations, in chemistry for understanding molecular vibrations, and in economics for modeling supply and demand. It is also used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a potential well.

5. What are some challenges in translating the harmonic oscillator?

One challenge in translating the harmonic oscillator is finding the appropriate transformation that accurately represents the system being studied. This can require a deep understanding of the underlying physics and may involve simplifications or approximations. Additionally, some translations may result in more complex equations that are difficult to solve analytically, requiring numerical methods to be used.