1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connection between cubed binomial and summation formula proof (for squares)

1. Nov 21, 2006 #1
    I was reading through a proof of the summation formula for a sequence of consecutive squares (12 22 + 32 + ... + n2), and the beginning of the proof states that we should take the formula:
    (k+1)3 = k3 + 3k2 + 3k + 1
    And take "k = 1,2,3,...,n-1, n" to get n formulas which can then be manipulated into the form n(n+1)(2n+1)/6

I can follow the proof without issue, what I'm a little confused about is where "(k+1)3 = k3 + 3k2 + 3k + 1" comes from. It's just given at the beginning of the proof with no logical explaination as to where it came from. I understand that using it allows us to easily get to the final form -- but is there some logical connection between the cubed binomial (and it's expansion) and the sum of the sequence of squares?

Hopefully what I'm asking makes sense...
    -GeoMike-

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2
    I think it should be [tex] (k+1)^{3}-k^{3} = 3k^{2} + 3k +1 [/tex]. And then take [tex] k = 1,2,3, ..., (n-1), n [/tex]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  4. Nov 21, 2006 #3
    Yes, they subtract k3 from each side in the next step, then take k = 1,2,3,...(n-1),n.

But, what is the process of reasoning that led us to use that equation as a starting point for the proof? For example, if the question had just said "derive a formula for the sum of the sequence of consecutive squares" or "Prove that n(n+1)(2n+1)/6 is a formula for such a sequence" I wouldn't instantly think "Oh yeah, that's easy, I just need to use this cubic equation" -- what process of reasoning would get me there?

-GeoMike-

5. Nov 21, 2006 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I dunno, it's simply mathematical brilliancy. Basically it's intuition plus lots of work on this kind of problems: numerical formulae.

Daniel.

6. Nov 21, 2006 #5

I can live with that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something really obvious... :tongue2:

-GeoMike-

7. Nov 12, 2009 #6
    the equation stated to solve the equation (k+1)^3=k^3+3k^2+3k+1 comes from the algebraic proof of 1^2+2^2+3^2+4^2=(1+2+3+4)^3. This also means that 1^2+2^2+3^2+4^2.....+n^2=(1+2+3+4......+n)^3. In order to find the summation formula for the square, you need to take the cube.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?