Consequences of parallel universes

In summary: I've read that one POSSIBLE way to discover other universes is the way they MAY interact on each other with gravitational forces. However, assume we have 2 universes affecting one another with their own gravitational force, these forces, do they propagate through something in between these galaxies? Maybe this question doesn't even matter, neither the answer to it. But think of it like general relativity, mass bends space-time. But does a universe as a whole also bend some kind of "space-time outside the universe", this "thing" the universes exist in. Maybe this whole idea is totally wrong since I imagine space-time to be something that exists IN our universe. This question might be very nonsense, if so I'm sorry,
RobinSky
Hi, I have some questions that came up while thinking of this idea of parallel universes, I'm glad if someone could help answer these.

1. Assume we somehow discover another universe, does this discovery then imply that OUR universe is finite in size? Or is it still possible to have an infinite universe?

2. I've read that one POSSIBLE way to discover other universes is the way they MAY interact on each other with gravitational forces. However, assume we have 2 universes affecting one another with their own gravitational force, these forces, do they propagate through something in between these galaxies? Maybe this question doesn't even matter, neither the answer to it. But think of it like general relativity, mass bends space-time. But does a universe as a whole also bend some kind of "space-time outside the universe", this "thing" the universes exist in. Maybe this whole idea is totally wrong since I imagine space-time to be something that exists IN our universe. This question might be very nonsense, if so I'm sorry, it's just imagination playing in my head. Maybe the concept of time is not needed "outside the universe", or in this "thing" the universes exist in. However, it's fascinating.

Thanks in advance, please keep in mind I have no knowledge at all of this theory of parallel universes.
Robin Andersson

Space news on Phys.org
Parallel universes is a very iffy concept. There are two or three variations.
1) Quantum theory basis. All possible outcomes occur in parallel universes.
2) Big bang created a bubble (our universe) in a multiverse.
3) M theory. Brane collision led to the big bang.

As far as I can tell there is no way to communicate with another universe, athough for 2 and 3, it was supposed to explain why gravity is so weak compared to other forces.

This is all very speculative.

RobinSky said:
1. Assume we somehow discover another universe, does this discovery then imply that OUR universe is finite in size? Or is it still possible to have an infinite universe?

It's still possible to have an infinite universe, being that the other universe would have it's own space. It doesn't share the space of our universe. If it did, they'd be a single universe.

Can you explain how our infinite universe could "share" it's space with another universe?

How can an infinite universe have a finite 'age'?

Chronos -Good question.

I've always assumed assumed that the BB took place in an infinite universe. Any thoughts?

Oldfart said:
Can you explain how our infinite universe could "share" it's space with another universe?

It doesn't. The other universe has it's own space. It doesn't share space with any other universes. If two "universes" shared the same space, they'd be a single universe. You can still have an infinite universe with the existence of other universes, being that each universe has it's own space.

Oldfart said:
In the quantum multiverse, the different "universes" are just different branches of the wavefunction that cannot communicate with one another. They all occupy the same space, but can't interact.

That said, though we really don't know for sure if our universe were infinite or not, I think a finite universe is a better bet overall. Though in this case, the size may be very very large indeed. Especially if it turns out that eternal inflation occurs.

1. What is the concept of parallel universes?

The concept of parallel universes, also known as the multiverse theory, suggests that there are infinite parallel universes that exist alongside our own. These universes are similar to ours but may have different timelines, physical laws, or versions of ourselves.

2. Is there any evidence to support the existence of parallel universes?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence to prove the existence of parallel universes. However, some theories in physics, such as string theory and the Many-Worlds Interpretation, suggest the possibility of parallel universes. These theories are still being studied and researched.

3. What would be the consequences of the existence of parallel universes?

If parallel universes do exist, it would have significant consequences on our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could potentially explain phenomena that cannot be explained by our current understanding, such as the concept of deja vu or the existence of alternate versions of ourselves.

4. Could we ever travel to a parallel universe?

Currently, there is no known way to travel to a parallel universe. The concept of traveling between universes is still highly theoretical and would require immense technological advancements. It is also unclear if it would be possible to survive in a different universe with different physical laws.

5. How does the concept of parallel universes impact our understanding of time and space?

The idea of parallel universes challenges our traditional understanding of time and space. It suggests that there are multiple versions of ourselves and our reality, existing simultaneously. This concept raises questions about the nature of time and how it operates in different universes.