Consequences of time not being continuous

In summary, the conversation discusses the consequences of the non-continuous nature of time and the implications it has for our understanding of mathematics and physics. It also touches on the idea of converting continuous systems to discrete ones and the role of quantum physics in handling time at a small scale. The validity of the statement that time is non-continuous is also questioned.
YoshiMoshi

Homework Statement

Given that the phenomena of time is non continuous, despite it often being considered as being so, what are the consequences of this? It seems that the foundation of mathematics that describes the physical world assumes that time is continuous, which we believe now to be false. I know that the difference between continuous and non continuous is very small for time, but even a little bit off has major consequences. Doing something like integration or differentiation becomes very difficult.

Or say for example analog to digital converters convert a continuous system to a discrete one, but what is actually going on is that we are converting an already discrete system to a discrete system with a higher sample time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
YoshiMoshi said:

Homework Statement

Given that the phenomena of time is non continuous, despite it often being considered as being so, what are the consequences of this? It seems that the foundation of mathematics that describes the physical world assumes that time is continuous, which we believe now to be false. I know that the difference between continuous and non continuous is very small for time, but even a little bit off has major consequences. Doing something like integration or differentiation becomes very difficult.
The mathematical definitions of integration and differentiation are not changed. They do not depend on how the math is being applied to any particular physical situation. The truth is that the physics at that quantum level is handled with entirely different mathematics anyway.
Or say for example analog to digital converters convert a continuous system to a discrete one, but what is actually going on is that we are converting an already discrete system to a discrete system with a higher sample time.
I'm not sure what you mean here. The sample time of any analog to digital converter is much too great to require any quantum-time considerations.

PS. Is this really a homework problem? It didn't look like it so I replied here as though it is not. If it really is homework, you should show your ideas and work and we are only allowed to ask leading questionss and give hints.

YoshiMoshi said:

Homework Statement

None of this is true. I think you have picked up some wrong ideas from somewhere.

Likes berkeman
It does seem to be a rather bold statement to say "we know" that time is non-continuous. Can you define what group of physicists you mean by "we?" Of course we need to be very careful in physics about using the term "we know."

Are you perhaps thinking about some speculations that the universe is a type of computer simulation, i.e. "digital physics?" Zuse wrote the seminal paper on this decades ago, called "Calculating Space." Although fascinating as a speculation, I think it's fair to say it's not a mainstream area of physics research at this time.

In any case, here is a previous discussion from PF on a question that seems related to your question.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-time-continuous.3396/

1. What is the definition of time not being continuous?

Time not being continuous refers to the concept that time may not flow in a smooth and uninterrupted manner, but instead may have gaps or interruptions in its progression.

2. How does time not being continuous affect our understanding of the universe?

The idea of time not being continuous challenges our traditional understanding of the universe as a linear and continuous entity. It opens up the possibility of alternate timelines or parallel universes, and raises questions about the true nature of time.

3. What are some potential consequences of time not being continuous?

One potential consequence is the breakdown of causality, as events may not necessarily have a cause-and-effect relationship if time is not continuous. This could also affect our ability to accurately measure and predict time, leading to uncertainties and disruptions in various fields such as physics and technology.

4. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea of time not being continuous?

While there is currently no conclusive evidence, some theories in physics, such as loop quantum gravity and the theory of quantum foam, suggest that time may not be continuous at a microscopic level. However, further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the nature of time.

5. How does the concept of time not being continuous relate to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity suggests that time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This idea aligns with the concept of time not being continuous, as it challenges the notion of time as a fixed and constant entity.