1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation in Dynamite Explosion

1. Jul 23, 2014 #1

stl

6. Which of the following is NOT conserved when a stick of dynamite explodes?

a Internal (chemical potential energy)
    b. Total energy
    c. Mass
    d. Electric charge
    e. None of the above. They are all conserved.

My best guess is none of the above because chemical potential energy merely rearranges the position of atoms, energy can not be created nor destroyed, mass cannot be created or destroyed, and the total amount of positive charge minus the total amount of negative charge of an isolated system does not change.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me become a little better!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2014 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Is potential energy ITSELF always conserved?

If I drop a ball from height h and it hits the ground, what's the potential energy before I drop it and after it hits the ground?

4. Jul 23, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The last one "None of the above. They are all conserved" is self-contradictory so that can't be right!

Yes, there is a law of conservation of total energy, a law of conservation of mass, and a law of conservation of charge. There is no "law of conservation of potential energy".

5. Jul 23, 2014 #4

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

i think poor grammar has muddled your thinking .

that sentence doesn't parse.

Verb 'rearranges' implies action
    where's the corresponding verb implying action in the phrase
    ? I see two adjectives and a noun.

Potential energy is the ability to do something, not the doing of something.
    Where's the verb ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted