Conservation of Energy and Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 1g object on a frictionless surface being hit with light of a frequency 632nm. The question is how many photons the object absorbs by the time it is moving at 1mm/s. Two different approaches are used, one involving conservation of energy and the other involving conservation of momentum, resulting in different answers. It is concluded that conservation of momentum is more reliable in this scenario and the excess energy is most likely converted into heat.
Glass

Homework Statement

I have a 1g object on a frictionless surface being hit with light of a frequency 632nm (directly parrallel to the surface and the object absorbs all the light). How many photons did the object absorb by the time it's moving at 1mm/s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I worked it out two different ways and I got two different answers:

My first attempt is via conservation of energy:
n*h*c/lambda + m*c^2 = gamma*m*c^2
where
n is the number of photons
h is Planck's constant
c is the speed of light
lambda is the wavelength
m is the mass of the object
gamma is the 1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
Then I solved for n.

My second attempt is via conservation of momentum:
n*h/lambda = gamma*m*v
Then I solved for n.

In both cases I got different answers. So I'm not sure what's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Trust conservation of momentum before you trust a naive conservation of energy calc. The collision is inelastic.

Ok thanks. But what happened to the energy? Did it radiate as heat or something?

Some of it could have been converted into electrical energy if the surface is connected to a power grid. Conservation can't tell you where it went. But yes, most likely answer is heat.

What is the law of conservation of energy and momentum?

The law of conservation of energy and momentum states that the total amount of energy and momentum in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that energy and momentum cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

What is the difference between energy and momentum?

Energy is a measure of an object's ability to do work, while momentum is a measure of an object's motion. Energy is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How does the conservation of energy and momentum apply to real-world situations?

The conservation of energy and momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that applies to all natural processes, including those in the real world. For example, in a car crash, the total energy and momentum of the system of cars and objects involved will remain the same before and after the collision.

Are there any exceptions to the law of conservation of energy and momentum?

In classical mechanics, the law of conservation of energy and momentum holds true in all isolated systems. However, in the quantum world, there are some exceptions due to the uncertainty principle and quantum fluctuations. Additionally, in situations involving strong gravitational fields, the conservation laws may not apply.

What are some practical applications of the law of conservation of energy and momentum?

The law of conservation of energy and momentum has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, mechanics, and thermodynamics. It is used to design efficient machines, understand and predict the motion of objects, and analyze heat and energy transfer processes. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as renewable energy sources and space travel.