Conservation of Energy: Finding the Speed of a Falling Ball

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
sireh
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


14nk383.jpg
[/B]
The coefficient of friction between the block of mass m1 = 3.00kg and the surface in Figure P7.22 is μk = 0.400. The system starts from rest. What is the speed of the ball of mass m2 = 5.00 kg when it has fallen a distance of h = 1.50m?

Homework Equations


This is in the chapter on conservation of energy, so
Ui + Ki + ΔEmech = Uf + Kf

The Attempt at a Solution


Using downward direction as positive so g is positive

m2gh - fh = 1/2(m1 + m2)v2
(5.00kg)(9.8m/s2)(1.5m) - (-11.76N)(1.5m) = 1/2(3.00kg + 5.00kg)v2
91.14Nm = 4kg * v2
22.785Nm2/s2 = v2
4.77m/s = v

That's not the answer that I'm seeing on the answer sheet. I'm not sure what I did wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sireh said:
m2gh - fh = 1/2(m1 + m2)v2
(5.00kg)(9.8m/s2)(1.5m) - (-11.76N)(1.5m) = 1/2(3.00kg + 5.00kg)v2
Think conceptually and decide if you want to have two minus signs here.