Conservation of Energy for Parallel Wires

In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment and a video demonstration related to the concept of induced current and energy conservation in the case of magnetism. The individual is trying to understand the source of potential energy created when closing Circuit 1 and how it relates to Maxwell's equations.
Essence

Homework Statement

So I'm trying to prove to myself that energy is conserved in the case of magnetism. Here is the set up that I'm using to get that understanding (attached image).

Just to be clear the arrows represent the current lines and I am calculating a gain in PE because if I release Circuit 2 (after closing Circuit 1) I believe it will move in the direction of Circuit 1 (PE turns into KE).

Question: When I close the switch to Circuit 1 I create potential energy for Circuit 2. Where does the energy come from (I presume it comes from the current but don’t see how)?

Homework Equations

I suppose I could list the force equation

F = q v x B
This is really a baseline conceptual question; I already know how to calculate the force (I believe) and everything.

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A (Conceptual Question)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 12.49.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 12.49.39 PM.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Essence,

Try the following thought experiment (it might help you.) You have a copper tube, and you drop a copper disk through it. Does the disk fall normally? Is it obstructed?

Hope this helps

Try the following video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=keMpUaoA3Tg

So this video is a demonstration of induced current due to change in magnetic flux I believe. Are you saying that the law that this relates to will get me to the derivation of where the new potential energy by closing Circuit 1 comes from? Totally possible; just want to check. I believe my teacher mentioned how that law relates to energy conservation when I asked him if there was a more fundamental thought process that combines Maxwell's equations.

I will probably think about it more (because it bothers me that I only understand Maxwell's equations from the standpoint of a technician).

Thanks.

1. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred from one form to another. In other words, the total energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to parallel wires?

In the context of parallel wires, conservation of energy means that the total energy of the system remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting on the wires. This means that any changes in energy in one wire must be balanced by changes in the other wire.

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy in parallel wires?

The conservation of energy in parallel wires is affected by factors such as the current flowing through the wires, the resistance of the wires, and the distance between the wires. If any of these factors change, the total energy in the system may also change.

4. What are some real-life applications of conservation of energy for parallel wires?

Conservation of energy for parallel wires is important in various applications, such as electrical circuits, power distribution systems, and communication networks. It ensures that energy is efficiently transferred between wires and devices without any loss.

5. How can conservation of energy for parallel wires be calculated?

The conservation of energy for parallel wires can be calculated using the law of conservation of energy, which states that the total energy in a closed system is equal to the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy. The specific calculations may vary depending on the specific scenario and variables involved.