Conservation of Energy/momentum in Photoelectric process

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Ambidext
Messages
60
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Show that a free electron cannot absorb a photon and conserve both energy and momentum in the process. Hence, the photoelectric process requires a bound electron. (Eisberg and Resnick 2nd Ed)

Homework Equations



hv = E
p = K / c
E2 = (pc)2 + (m0c2)2

The Attempt at a Solution



I've simply shown since
E2 = (pc)2 + (m0c2)2,

rest energy of a moving electron isn't zero and thus energy and momentum cannot be conserved. Is this argument true/suffice?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how the conclusion follows from the premise, and I suspect you don't either since you asked if the argument was true.
 
Start by writing the equations for the conservation of energy and momentum the electron and photon would have to satisfy.