Conservation of Energy or Momentum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of conservation of energy and momentum to determine the new amplitude of oscillation when a mass M with amplitude A is attached to a horizontal spring and another mass m is gently placed on it. While the conservation of energy approach did not lead to the right answer, the conservation of momentum approach did, prompting the person to ask when it is appropriate to use each method.
i.mehrzad
Conservation of Energy or Momentum??

A mass M is attatched to a horizontal spring of force constant k fixed on one side to a rigid suppport.(Please imagine the diagram). The mass oscillates on a frictionless surface with time Period T and amplitude A. When The mass is in equilibrium another mass m is gently placed on it. What will be the new amplitude of oscillation.

My approach,
Conservation of energy
1/2 Mw(1)^2A(1)^2= 1/2 (M+m)W(2)^2A(2)^2 where w is omega.
And then on rearranging the terms i got
[A(1)/A(2)]^2 and
w(1)/w(2) on the left hand side i substituted it with (m+M)/(M) since w is inversely proportional to m.
This did not lead me to the right answer.
However if i conserved momentum then i do get the right answer. Question When am i supposd to know when to conserve momentum and when to conserve energy.
Anyone to help since my AIEEE examination is tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note here W(1) A(1) stands for initial amplitude and initial angular velocity.

I would say that both conservation of energy and momentum are important concepts to consider in this situation. However, in this specific scenario, it seems that conservation of momentum would be the more appropriate approach.

Conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, when the additional mass m is gently placed on the original mass M, there is no external force acting on the system. Therefore, the total momentum of the system should remain constant.

On the other hand, conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In this scenario, the potential energy of the system changes when the additional mass is added, but the total energy should remain constant. This may not necessarily lead to the correct answer for the new amplitude of oscillation.

In general, to determine whether to use conservation of energy or momentum, one must carefully analyze the system and consider the forces acting on it. In this case, since there are no external forces and the masses are not accelerating, conservation of momentum would be the more appropriate approach. However, in other situations where external forces may be present, conservation of energy may be the better approach. It ultimately depends on the specific dynamics of the system in question.

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

The conservation of energy applies to everyday life in many ways. For example, when we turn on a light switch, the electrical energy is converted into light and heat energy. When we ride a bike, the chemical energy in our food is converted into mechanical energy to move the bike. Understanding this law helps us make more efficient use of energy in our daily lives.

3. What is the relationship between energy and momentum?

Energy and momentum are both important concepts in physics, but they are not the same thing. Energy is a measure of an object's ability to do work, while momentum is a measure of an object's motion. However, both energy and momentum are conserved in a closed system.

4. How does the conservation of momentum relate to collisions?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in collisions. In a closed system, the total momentum before a collision must be equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that if one object gains momentum, another object must lose an equal amount of momentum.

5. Can the law of conservation of energy or momentum ever be violated?

The law of conservation of energy and momentum are considered to be fundamental laws of physics, and there is no direct evidence that they have ever been violated. However, in certain extreme situations such as nuclear reactions, these laws may appear to be violated due to the conversion of mass into energy. Nevertheless, these laws hold true in most everyday situations.