Conservation of Momentum and Mechanical Energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
TG3
Messages
66
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A projectile with a mass of 20 g has an initial horizontal velocity of 100 m/s when it hits and stops in a wood block of mass 0.402 kg. The block is sitting on a horizontal frictionless surface and is attached to a massless spring, initially relaxed, with spring constant 143 N/m. What is the maximum compression of the spring?

Homework Equations


P= MV
K=1/2 MV^2
F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution


Initial Momentum of the Bullet = .02 x 100 = 2
Initial momentum of the Bullet/Wood system = 2 due to conservation of momentum.
2= .404 V
V= 4.95 m/s is the velocity of the block/bullet system.
K = 1/2 (.404) 4.95^2
K= 4.95 Due to conservation of Energy, this is also the amount of energy the spring exerts.
4.95 =143X
Wrong. I suspect the error in my calculation is near the end, but I don't know that for certain.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks- once I used energy not force it was easy to find the distance. (.26 meters.)
In the second part though, there is friction (with a coefficient of friction of .25).

How do I deal with that using the energy relationship?