1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Momentum and Mechanical Energy

1. Feb 18, 2009 #1

TG3

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile with a mass of 20 g has an initial horizontal velocity of 100 m/s when it hits and stops in a wood block of mass 0.402 kg. The block is sitting on a horizontal frictionless surface and is attached to a massless spring, initially relaxed, with spring constant 143 N/m. What is the maximum compression of the spring?

2. Relevant equations
    P= MV
    K=1/2 MV^2
    F=-kx

3. The attempt at a solution
    Initial Momentum of the Bullet = .02 x 100 = 2
    Initial momentum of the Bullet/Wood system = 2 due to conservation of momentum.
    2= .404 V
    V= 4.95 m/s is the velocity of the block/bullet system.
    K = 1/2 (.404) 4.95^2
    K= 4.95 Due to conservation of Energy, this is also the amount of energy the spring exerts.
    4.95 =143X
    Wrong. I suspect the error in my calculation is near the end, but I don't know that for certain.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3

TG3

Thanks- once I used energy not force it was easy to find the distance. (.26 meters.)
    In the second part though, there is friction (with a coefficient of friction of .25).

How do I deal with that using the energy relationship?

5. Feb 20, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

KE of block = PE gained by spring + work done against friction

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook