1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of momentum and SHM

1. May 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two point masses m1 and m2 are coupled by a spring of spring constant k and uncompressed length L0. The spring is fully compressed and a thread ties the masses together with negligible separation between them. The tied assembly is moving in the +x direction with uniform speed v0. At a time, say t = 0, it is passing the origin and at that instant the thread breaks. The masses, attached to the spring, start oscillating. The displacement of mass m1 is given by x1 (t) = v0t - A(1-cos(ωt)) where A is a constant. Find (i) the displacement x2(t) of mass m2, and (ii) the relationship between A and L0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First part is easy. Using
    ##x_{cm} = \dfrac{m_1x_1 + m_2x_2}{m_1 + m_2}##
    and substituting ##x_{cm} = v_0t## and ##x_1= v_0t - A(1-\cos{ωt})##
    we get ##x_2 = v_0t + \dfrac{m_1}{m_2}.A(1-\cos{wt})##

However, I'm not sure what to do for part (ii). I suppose it involves using the energy equation, but that isn't really working out because of the ##t## (time). I think we might have to minimise or maximise something, in any case, I'm not sure how to proceed. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Energy should do it. Please post your working.

4. May 7, 2016 #3
    Sorry. I forgot to post the working.
    Conserving energy at t=0 and t=t,

##\dfrac{1}{2}.k{L_0}^2 + \dfrac{1}{2}(m_1 + m_2){v_0}^2 = \dfrac{1}{2}k{(L_0 - |x_2 - x_1|)}^2 + \dfrac{1}{2}m_1{v_1}^2 + \dfrac{1}{2}m_2{v_2}^2##

where ##v_1 = v_0 - Aω\sin{ωt}## and ##v_2 = v_0 + A\dfrac{m_1}{m_2}ω\sin{ωt}##

This is just terrible.
    So, I'm thinking there is definitely some optimisation involved, something like ##\sin{ωt} = 0## or ## \cos{ωt} = 0## but I'm not seeing what.

5. May 7, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It is not a question of optimisation. You need to pick a particular time t to compare with t=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted