Conservation of momentum and SHM

• Thread starter erisedk
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Two point masses m1 and m2 are coupled by a spring of spring constant k and uncompressed length L0. The spring is fully compressed and a thread ties the masses together with negligible separation between them. The tied assembly is moving in the +x direction with uniform speed v0. At a time, say t = 0, it is passing the origin and at that instant the thread breaks. The masses, attached to the spring, start oscillating. The displacement of mass m1 is given by x1 (t) = v0t - A(1-cos(ωt)) where A is a constant. Find (i) the displacement x2(t) of mass m2, and (ii) the relationship between A and L0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First part is easy. Using
##x_{cm} = \dfrac{m_1x_1 + m_2x_2}{m_1 + m_2}##
and substituting ##x_{cm} = v_0t## and ##x_1= v_0t - A(1-\cos{ωt})##
we get ##x_2 = v_0t + \dfrac{m_1}{m_2}.A(1-\cos{wt})##

However, I'm not sure what to do for part (ii). I suppose it involves using the energy equation, but that isn't really working out because of the ##t## (time). I think we might have to minimise or maximise something, in any case, I'm not sure how to proceed. Please help.

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award

Homework Statement

Two point masses m1 and m2 are coupled by a spring of spring constant k and uncompressed length L0. The spring is fully compressed and a thread ties the masses together with negligible separation between them. The tied assembly is moving in the +x direction with uniform speed v0. At a time, say t = 0, it is passing the origin and at that instant the thread breaks. The masses, attached to the spring, start oscillating. The displacement of mass m1 is given by x1 (t) = v0t - A(1-cos(ωt)) where A is a constant. Find (i) the displacement x2(t) of mass m2, and (ii) the relationship between A and L0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First part is easy. Using
##x_{cm} = \dfrac{m_1x_1 + m_2x_2}{m_1 + m_2}##
and substituting ##x_{cm} = v_0t## and ##x_1= v_0t - A(1-\cos{ωt})##
we get ##x_2 = v_0t + \dfrac{m_1}{m_2}.A(1-\cos{wt})##

However, I'm not sure what to do for part (ii). I suppose it involves using the energy equation, but that isn't really working out because of the ##t## (time). I think we might have to minimise or maximise something, in any case, I'm not sure how to proceed. Please help.
Energy should do it. Please post your working.

Sorry. I forgot to post the working.
Conserving energy at t=0 and t=t,

##\dfrac{1}{2}.k{L_0}^2 + \dfrac{1}{2}(m_1 + m_2){v_0}^2 = \dfrac{1}{2}k{(L_0 - |x_2 - x_1|)}^2 + \dfrac{1}{2}m_1{v_1}^2 + \dfrac{1}{2}m_2{v_2}^2##

where ##v_1 = v_0 - Aω\sin{ωt}## and ##v_2 = v_0 + A\dfrac{m_1}{m_2}ω\sin{ωt}##

This is just terrible.
So, I'm thinking there is definitely some optimisation involved, something like ##\sin{ωt} = 0## or ## \cos{ωt} = 0## but I'm not seeing what.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Sorry. I forgot to post the working.
Conserving energy at t=0 and t=t,

##\dfrac{1}{2}.k{L_0}^2 + \dfrac{1}{2}(m_1 + m_2){v_0}^2 = \dfrac{1}{2}k{(L_0 - |x_2 - x_1|)}^2 + \dfrac{1}{2}m_1{v_1}^2 + \dfrac{1}{2}m_2{v_2}^2##

where ##v_1 = v_0 - Aω\sin{ωt}## and ##v_2 = v_0 + A\dfrac{m_1}{m_2}ω\sin{ωt}##

This is just terrible.
So, I'm thinking there is definitely some optimisation involved, something like ##\sin{ωt} = 0## or ## \cos{ωt} = 0## but I'm not seeing what.
It is not a question of optimisation. You need to pick a particular time t to compare with t=0.

(ii) maximum compression = maximum stretching = L
So max. gap btw. x1 and x2 = max. Stretch + natural length = L + L = 2L
x2 - x1 = Am1/m2(1-coswt) + A(1-coswt)
(x2 - x1) max. =» 2A(m1/m2) + 2A = 2L
L = A(m1 + m2)/m2

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
(ii) maximum compression = maximum stretching = L