Conservation of momentum at Annihilation

In summary, when a proton and an anti-proton collide, their opposite charges cause them to attract and annihilate. The resulting K particles mesons break down into Gamma Rays and Neutrinos. Research suggests that fundamental particle pairs eventually decay into a pair of Gamma Rays with equal strength and opposite direction. It is possible that the original momentum of the proton and anti-proton can be detected in the resulting Gamma Rays, or it may be transferred to the Neutrinos. These particles are only opposite in their own rest frame.
max_emerso
If you have a proton and an anti-proton traveling in the same direction with momentum from A to B but during the flight time they become attracted due to their opposite charges and annilhilate, the momentum I would guess is transferred to the resulting unstable K particles mesons etc, which, as I understand it, further breakdown into Electro Magnetic Radiation (Gamma Rays?) and Neutrinos.

It seems to me from my limited research in positron/electron annihilation that each fundamental particle pair (electron/positron and quark/anti-quark) eventually decays into a Gamma Ray pair of equal strength and opposite direction (180 degrees) possibly at 90 degrees to the point of annihlation.

Can I assume that the original momentum of the proton and anti-proton would be dectable in the wavelengths of the resulting gamma rays? Or is the momentum transferred to the Neutrinos?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are only opposite in the rest frame.

genneth said:
They are only opposite in the rest frame.

Intriguing. Of course they will be be in their own rest frame relative to each other.

1. What is conservation of momentum at annihilation?

Conservation of momentum at annihilation is a principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a system before and after an annihilation event must be equal. This means that the total momentum of all particles involved in the annihilation must be conserved.

2. What is annihilation?

Annihilation is a process where a particle and its corresponding antiparticle collide and are converted into other particles or energy. This process is governed by the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

3. How does conservation of momentum apply to annihilation?

Conservation of momentum applies to annihilation in the sense that the total momentum of all particles involved in the annihilation must be conserved. This means that the momentum of the initial particles must be equal to the momentum of the resulting particles or energy.

4. Why is conservation of momentum important in annihilation?

Conservation of momentum is important in annihilation because it is a fundamental principle in physics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of particles and energy in annihilation events. It also allows us to make accurate calculations and predictions about the outcome of these events.

5. Does conservation of momentum always apply in annihilation?

Yes, conservation of momentum always applies in annihilation events. This is because it is a fundamental law of physics that has been observed and tested in countless experiments. Any deviation from this principle would contradict our understanding of the laws of nature.