Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of momentum at Annihilation

1. Sep 5, 2007 #1
    If you have a proton and an anti-proton travelling in the same direction with momentum from A to B but during the flight time they become attracted due to thier opposite charges and annilhilate, the momentum I would guess is transfered to the resulting unstable K particles mesons etc, which, as I understand it, further breakdown into Electro Magnetic Radiation (Gamma Rays?) and Neutrinos.

It seems to me from my limited research in positron/electron annihilation that each fundamental particle pair (electron/positron and quark/anti-quark) eventually decays into a Gamma Ray pair of equal strength and opposite direction (180 degrees) possibly at 90 degrees to the point of annihlation.

Can I assume that the original momentum of the proton and anti-proton would be dectable in the wavelengths of the resulting gamma rays? Or is the momentum transferred to the Neutrinos?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2007 #2
    They are only opposite in the rest frame.

4. Sep 5, 2007 #3
    Intriguing. Of course they will be be in their own rest frame relative to each other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?