Conservation of momentum at Annihilation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
max_emerso
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
If you have a proton and an anti-proton traveling in the same direction with momentum from A to B but during the flight time they become attracted due to their opposite charges and annilhilate, the momentum I would guess is transferred to the resulting unstable K particles mesons etc, which, as I understand it, further breakdown into Electro Magnetic Radiation (Gamma Rays?) and Neutrinos.

It seems to me from my limited research in positron/electron annihilation that each fundamental particle pair (electron/positron and quark/anti-quark) eventually decays into a Gamma Ray pair of equal strength and opposite direction (180 degrees) possibly at 90 degrees to the point of annihlation.

Can I assume that the original momentum of the proton and anti-proton would be dectable in the wavelengths of the resulting gamma rays? Or is the momentum transferred to the Neutrinos?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
genneth said:
They are only opposite in the rest frame.

Intriguing. Of course they will be be in their own rest frame relative to each other.