Conservation of momentum, Elastic car collision.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
Zsmitty3
Messages
46
Reaction score
3
A 1689 kg car collides head on with a 2000 kg truck. The collision is elastic. If the velocity of the truck is 17km/h in the same directions as the car's initial velocity, what is the initial speed of the car in km/h?



I'm getting an answer but doesn't seem to make sense.



So I'm looking at the conservation of momentum equation to set this up.

(1689-kg)(x)+(2000-kg)(0 km/h)=(1689-kg)(0)+(2000-kg)(17 km/h)

Then: (1689)(x)=(34000) or x= 20.13

I'm assuming that the final velocity of the car is 0 but it doesn't specifically say in the questions. Can I assume that since it's head on? Also it's a multiple choice question and the closest answer I can find is 19 km/h.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Zsmitty3 said:
A 1689 kg car collides head on with a 2000 kg truck. The collision is elastic. If the velocity of the truck is 17km/h in the same directions as the car's initial velocity, what is the initial speed of the car in km/h?
There's not enough information. Below, you assume the truck is initially stationary. Is that true? (Not what I would call 'head on'.)
I'm assuming that the final velocity of the car is 0
You should not. You are told the collision is elastic. What additional conservation law does that allow you to use?
 
The Truck is parked so yes its initial is 0. Sorry I forgot to add that. Conservation of KE?
 
Last edited:
Zsmitty3 said:
The Truck is parked so yes its initial is 0. Sorry I forgot to add that. Conservation of KE?
Yes.