Conservation of momentum, Elastic car collision.

In summary: Could you provide the summary of the conversation?In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where a 1689 kg car collides with a 2000 kg truck head on. The collision is elastic and the question asks for the initial speed of the car given that the truck's velocity is 17 km/h in the same direction as the car's initial velocity. The conversation also mentions the use of the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations to solve the problem. However, there is some uncertainty about the initial velocity of the truck and the assumption that the final velocity of the car is 0, leading to different possible answers.
Zsmitty3
A 1689 kg car collides head on with a 2000 kg truck. The collision is elastic. If the velocity of the truck is 17km/h in the same directions as the car's initial velocity, what is the initial speed of the car in km/h?

I'm getting an answer but doesn't seem to make sense.

So I'm looking at the conservation of momentum equation to set this up.

(1689-kg)(x)+(2000-kg)(0 km/h)=(1689-kg)(0)+(2000-kg)(17 km/h)

Then: (1689)(x)=(34000) or x= 20.13

I'm assuming that the final velocity of the car is 0 but it doesn't specifically say in the questions. Can I assume that since it's head on? Also it's a multiple choice question and the closest answer I can find is 19 km/h.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zsmitty3 said:
A 1689 kg car collides head on with a 2000 kg truck. The collision is elastic. If the velocity of the truck is 17km/h in the same directions as the car's initial velocity, what is the initial speed of the car in km/h?
There's not enough information. Below, you assume the truck is initially stationary. Is that true? (Not what I would call 'head on'.)
I'm assuming that the final velocity of the car is 0
You should not. You are told the collision is elastic. What additional conservation law does that allow you to use?

The Truck is parked so yes its initial is 0. Sorry I forgot to add that. Conservation of KE?

Last edited:
Zsmitty3 said:
The Truck is parked so yes its initial is 0. Sorry I forgot to add that. Conservation of KE?
Yes.

I understand your confusion about the final velocity of the car and the given answer of 19 km/h. However, based on the conservation of momentum equation, we can assume that the final velocity of the car is indeed 0, since the car and the truck are moving in opposite directions and they have the same mass. This means that the initial velocity of the car must be 19 km/h, in order for the total momentum to be conserved in the collision. So, the answer of 19 km/h is the most accurate one based on the given information. If the question provided more details, such as the final velocities of both vehicles, we could have a more accurate answer. It's important to always consider all the given information and assumptions when solving a scientific problem.

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is momentum conserved in an elastic car collision?

In an elastic car collision, the total momentum of the system (the two cars) before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the cars will bounce off each other and continue moving in opposite directions with the same total momentum.

3. What factors affect the conservation of momentum in a car collision?

The conservation of momentum in a car collision is affected by the mass and velocity of the cars involved. The larger the mass and the higher the velocity, the greater the momentum of the system and the more important it is to conserve it.

4. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the conservation of momentum in an elastic car collision?

The coefficient of restitution, which represents the ratio of the relative velocities of the two cars before and after the collision, affects the conservation of momentum by determining how much kinetic energy is transferred between the cars. A higher coefficient of restitution means more kinetic energy is conserved and less is lost as heat or sound.

5. Can momentum be transferred between objects in an elastic car collision?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between objects in an elastic car collision. This is because momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and can be transferred from one object to another through contact or interaction between the two objects.