Conservation of Momentum for Asteroid in Dust Cloud

I would have thought v = \frac {v_0 m_0}{ (m_0 + C x)^{1/2}} would be a better guess, but it doesn't work.I'll look again tomorrow.In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of a spherical asteroid of mass m_0 moving freely in interstellar space and running into a dust cloud of uniform density \rho_d. The asteroid is assumed to remain spherical and every particle of dust that hits it sticks to it. The goal is to obtain expressions for the velocity of the asteroid and the force exerted on it by the dust as functions of time. The attempt at a solution involves creating an expression for m(t) and taking its derivative
xanmas

Homework Statement

A spherical asteroid of mass [tex]m_0[/tex] is moving freely in interstellar space (no external forces) with velocity [tex]v_0[/tex] . It runs into a dust cloud whose uniform density is [tex]\rho_d[/tex] Assume that every particle of dust that hits the asteroid sticks to it and that the asteroid remains spherical at all times. (a) Obtain an expression for the velocity of the asteroid as a function of time. (b) Obtain an expression for the force exerted on the asteroid by the dust as a function of time.

Homework Equations

[tex]p_f = p_i[/tex]
[tex]F_{ext} = 0 [/tex] which implies that [tex]m\frac{dv}{dt} + v\frac{dm}{dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did initially was create an expression for [tex]m(t)[/tex] which I got as:
[tex]m(t) = \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3(t) \rho_d + m_0[/tex]

and I took the first derivative with respect to time. Since [tex]\rho_d[/tex] is constant for the cloud, the only thing that was time dependent was [tex]r(t)[/tex]. Well, I got this

[tex]4 \pi r^2(t) \rho_d \frac{dr}{dt}[/tex].

I figured that, to within a proportionality constant [tex]r' = x' = v{t}[/tex]

which also gave that

[tex]r = r_0 + d [/tex]

where d is the total distance traveled in the cloud and is equivalent to [tex]v(t)*t[/tex] .

So I plugged this all into my equation and I got that

[tex]\left[\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3(t) \rho_d + m_0 \right] \frac{dv}{dt} = V(t) \left[ 4 \pi r^2(t) \rho_d \frac{dr}{dt} \right][/tex]

which simplified down to

[tex]\left[\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3(t) \rho_d + m_0 \right] \frac{dv}{dt} = V(t) \left[ 4 \pi r^2(t) \rho_d v(t) \right][/tex]

Solving this out gives us that

[tex]v(t) = \frac{ \left( 4d^3\rho_d\pi + 3m_0 \right )t }{ 12 d^2 \rho_d \pi }. [/tex]

This seems fair enough but the correct answer (as given by the book) is apparently

[tex]\frac{v_0 m_0}{ \left[ m_0^{4/3} + \frac{4\rho_d\pi v_0 m_0}{3 \left( \frac{m}{r^3} \right )^{2/3} }t \right]^{3/4} } [/tex].

I am utterly baffled as to how they solved this or got the power of [tex]\frac{3}{4}[/tex] in the denominator. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've no idea how you got [tex]
m(t) = \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3(t) \rho_d + m_0
[/tex]

since how much mass the asteroid picks up depends on v and v isn't constant. You also don't
want the volume of the asteroid, but the largest crosssectional area.

[tex] \frac {dm}{dt} [/tex] isn't too hard to find however.

apparently r is meant to be a constant, and the asteroid never becomes bigger no matter how
much mass is picked up. The density of the compacted dust isn't given and r is clearly meant
to be a constant.

still working on it.

I don't understand the book answer at all. There's still an m in there, should that be [tex] m_0 [/tex]?

[tex] m \frac {dv} {dt} + v \frac {dm}{dt} = 0 [/tex] doesn't get you any further than [tex] m v = m_0 v_0 [/tex]

if the asteroid travels a distance x through the cloud it will have swept up a volume [tex] \pi r^2 x [/tex] with mass [tex] \pi \rho r^2 x [/tex]

let [tex] \pi r^2 \rho = C [/tex]

[tex] m = m_0 + C x [/tex]

[tex] v = \frac {dx}{dt} = \frac {v_0 m_0} {m} = \frac {v_0 m_0} {m_0 + C x} [/tex]

this differential equation gives

[tex] m_0 v_0 t = (1/2) C x^2 + m_0 x [/tex] after separation of variables.

solving the quadratic for x gives [tex] x = \frac {2 m_0} {C} (\sqrt {1 + \frac {2 c v_0 t}{m_0}}-1) [/tex]

(the solution with the negative square root has x<0)

substituting this in the equation for v gives

[tex] v = \frac {v_0} { \sqrt { 1 + \frac {2 v_0 C t} {m_0}}} [/tex]

What is conservation of momentum for an asteroid in a dust cloud?

Conservation of momentum refers to the principle that the total momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of an asteroid in a dust cloud, this means that the total momentum of the asteroid and the dust particles remains constant, unless influenced by an external force such as gravity.

How does conservation of momentum affect the trajectory of an asteroid in a dust cloud?

Conservation of momentum dictates that the total momentum of the asteroid and dust particles will remain constant, even as they interact and collide with each other. This means that the trajectory of the asteroid will be affected by the momentum of the dust particles, and vice versa.

What is the role of gravity in conservation of momentum for an asteroid in a dust cloud?

Gravity is one of the external forces that can influence the momentum of an asteroid in a dust cloud. As the asteroid and dust particles interact with each other, they also experience the gravitational pull of each other. This can alter their trajectories and affect the conservation of momentum within the system.

How does the mass of the asteroid and dust particles affect the conservation of momentum?

The total momentum of a system is directly proportional to the mass of the objects within the system. This means that the mass of the asteroid and dust particles will have a significant impact on the conservation of momentum. A larger mass will result in a greater total momentum, while a smaller mass will result in a smaller total momentum.

Are there any other factors that can affect the conservation of momentum for an asteroid in a dust cloud?

Yes, there are other external factors that can influence the conservation of momentum, such as air resistance and collisions with other objects. These factors can alter the total momentum of the system and affect the trajectory of the asteroid and dust particles.