Conservation of momentum problem?

In summary, Billiard ball A has a velocity of .89 m/s after the collision and has lost .175% of its kinetic energy. Billiard ball B has a velocity of .93 m/s after the collision and has not lost any kinetic energy.
I Like Pi

Homework Statement

Two billiard balls collide on a horizontal table (assume no friction)). Billiard ball A has a mass of 0.175 kg,travelling at 1.20 m/s [E 40 deg S]. Billiard ball B has a mass of 0.225 kg, traveling at 0.68 m/s [E]. The velocity of billiard ball B after collision is 0.93 m/s [E 23 deg S]. What is the velocity of billiard A after the collision and what is the percentage of kinetic energy lost in the collision?

Homework Equations

P = m*v

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe this is a conservation of momentum problem?

therefore: [tex]P_{i}=P_{f}[/tex]
[tex](mv_{A})_{i}+(mv_{B})_{f}=(mv_{A})_{f}+(mv_{B})_{f}[/tex]
[tex].175*1.20+.225*.68=.175*.93+.225*v_{A}_{f}[/tex]
[tex]v_{A}_{f} = .89 m/s[/tex]

What I am unsure of is how i would find the direction of that velocity... I know it's vector problem, but how would i go about solving this, preferably algebraically?

EDIT: never mind, i found out how to do it using the vertical components :smile:

And to solve for % of kinetic energy lost, would I need to do it seperately for each ball? using [tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex]?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you would need to calculate the kinetic energy of each ball individually.

Thanks, but I realized I did the above wrong.. I need to find the x and y component of Ball A after the collision... so what I did was:
mv_aix + mv_bix = mv_afx + mv_bfx
= .175(1.20sin40) + .225(.68) = .175(v_afx) + .225(.93sin23)
v_afx = 1.18

mv_aiy + mv_biy = mv_afy + mv_bfy
= .175(1.20cos40) + .225(0) = .175(v_afy) + .225(.93cos23)
v_afy = -0.18

though I don't know if i am right :confused: as i also get a negative...

EDIT: sorry, I need to interchange the trig signs for both the components... DOI!

Now how would I go about with the kinetic energy?

Last edited:

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is conservation of momentum applied in real-world scenarios?

Conservation of momentum is applied in many real-world scenarios, such as collisions between objects, rocket propulsion, and sports such as billiards and ice skating. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of fluids and gases.

3. What are the equations used to solve conservation of momentum problems?

The two main equations used to solve conservation of momentum problems are the law of conservation of momentum (pi = pf) and the momentum equation (p = mv). These equations allow us to calculate the initial and final momenta of a system and determine the change in momentum.

4. How does conservation of momentum relate to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Conservation of momentum is closely related to Newton's Third Law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the context of momentum, this means that the total momentum of two objects before and after a collision must be equal and opposite.

5. What are some common misconceptions about conservation of momentum?

One common misconception is that conservation of momentum only applies to objects in motion. In reality, it applies to all systems, including those at rest. Another misconception is that momentum is the same as velocity, when in fact momentum takes into account both an object's mass and velocity.