Conservation of momentum velocity problem

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem with a tube and two fragments colliding with it. The question is whether the tube gains velocity after the collisions or remains at zero velocity. The answer provided is that the velocity should be zero because the momentum of the system is conserved. The fragments have equal and opposite momenta, which cancel each other out and result in a net momentum of zero.
kozis
Homework Statement are included in the attached image.

I've solved the first two parts, my question is about part c. It makes more sense for me to think that the tube has gained some velocity after the collisions and moves to one direction. Probably on the left because the velocity gained from fragment A is bigger than B. But the answer provided says that the velocity should be zero because nothing moves inside the tube and the system's momentum is zero. can someone please explain this to me? I really don't get it. As I mentioned before my thinking is that at first tube gains some velocity after fragment A collides on it and that after collision of fragment B,tube will still be moving with less velocity.

Attachments

• Scanned Document.jpg
    Scanned Document.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
kozis said:
It makes more sense for me to think that the tube has gained some velocity after the collisions and moves to one direction. Probably on the left because the velocity gained from fragment A is bigger than B.
What counts is the momentum, not just the velocity. And the fragments have equal and opposite momenta.

Ok I see now.. Thank you for your quick reply.

1. What is the conservation of momentum equation?

The conservation of momentum equation states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning that the initial momentum of the system must equal the final momentum of the system.

2. How is momentum defined?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. What is the relationship between mass and velocity in the conservation of momentum equation?

In the conservation of momentum equation, the mass and velocity are directly proportional. This means that if one increases, the other must decrease in order for the total momentum to remain constant.

4. How does the law of conservation of momentum apply to real-life situations?

The law of conservation of momentum applies to many real-life situations, such as collisions between objects, rocket propulsion, and the motion of planets in the solar system. It is a fundamental principle in physics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion.

5. Can the conservation of momentum be violated?

No, the conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. In any closed system, the total momentum will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force.