Conservative Forces and Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of h in order for a toy rollercoaster to have a speed of 3.50 m/s after crossing a rough patch with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.770. The solution involves using the equations for kinetic energy and work to determine the initial kinetic energy and height of the ramp.
MarineBio

Homework Statement

A 1.50 kg toy rollercoaster rests on a ramp of height h. When the toy rollercoaster is released, it slides without friction to the bottom of the ramp, and then continues on a flat surface with a rough patch of width 10.0 cm that has a coefficient of kinetic friction µk = 0.770. Find h such that the toy rollercoaster's speed after crossing the rough patch is 3.50 m/s.

Homework Equations

K = 1/2mv^2
U = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Kf = 1/2mv^2 = 1/2(1.5kg)(3.5 m/s)^2
Kf = 9.188

fk = ukN = .77(mg) = 11.319 (multiplied by the distance of .1m = 1.132)

I can't do mgh because I don't know h. I know I probably need to figure out how fast the toy roller coaster was going right before it hit the rough patch, but I can't seem to figure that out without knowing "h" so I am stuck here with no idea where to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
Change in KE is equal to work down against rough surface. So Ki = Kf + fk*d
And Ki = mgh.
Find h

Ahh, brilliant. Thank you so much!

1. What is a conservative force?

A conservative force is a type of force that does not dissipate energy as it acts on an object. This means that the total mechanical energy of an object remains constant as it moves through a conservative force field.

2. What are some examples of conservative forces?

Some examples of conservative forces include gravity, electrostatic forces, and elastic forces. These forces are considered conservative because they do not change the total mechanical energy of an object as it moves through their respective fields.

3. What is the role of friction in conservative forces?

Friction is a non-conservative force, meaning it does dissipate energy as it acts on an object. Friction is often considered to be a negative force in conservative systems, as it reduces the total mechanical energy of the system by converting it into heat.

4. How does the presence of friction affect the motion of an object?

The presence of friction can significantly alter the motion of an object. It can slow down the speed of an object, change its direction, and even bring it to a stop. Friction also plays a crucial role in determining the stability and equilibrium of objects on inclined surfaces.

5. How can we minimize the effects of friction in conservative systems?

One way to minimize the effects of friction in conservative systems is by using lubricants to reduce the contact between surfaces. Another method is by designing objects with smooth and polished surfaces, which can reduce the amount of friction present. Additionally, reducing the weight and surface area of an object can also help decrease the effects of friction.