1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Considering getting my Masters in Math after Undergrad

1. Feb 24, 2014 #1
    Hello,

Right now, I am a Freshman who is double majoring in Mathematics and Engineering. I am considering getting my Masters in Math, and was wondering if they look at the difficulty of courses you took in Undergrad?

Right now, I am taking Physics 1 and a lab (which is worth 5 credits). I have to take another semester of Physics, and I have the option of taking it with or without the lab, so it would be either 4 or 5 credits.

Would it look better if I took the 5 credit Physics, or does it not matter if I took the 4 credit Physics?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2014 #2
    In my opinion, the experience you will gain from the lab will be more valuable than how many credits it offers or how that looks to grad schools or employers. I don't foresee you getting or not getting the job over something that most people wont even notice. If you were just majoring in math I don't think it would matter but since you are going into engineering take the physics with a lab, the experience will be worth it in my opinion.

4. Feb 24, 2014 #3
    get you masters in something you can get a job in. Unless you truly love math, then get it in math. You have plenty of time to figure it out.

5. Feb 24, 2014 #4
    If you want a job stick with engineering and get a masters in that. However, as they said if you LOVE math, then do well (A's) in your math courses, get a year or more of research experience with a math professor, ace the Math GRE, and then apply to graduate school for a PHD in Math at a good university. Don't do a master's in math unless it's fully funded (unlikely)

6. Feb 26, 2014 #5
    Amen.

No, not just love math. Love or at least like teaching math. I made the mistake of getting a PhD in math, even though teaching turned out to be not my thing at all. The best thing you can do to prepare yourself for this is tutoring, but keep in mind, lecturing is very different from tutoring, so if you're like me, for example, you'll love tutoring, but won't be able to stand lecturing (not that anyone really SHOULD be lecturing predominantly, anyway, but that's the status quo of university math teaching at the moment). Also, take as many graduate classes as you can fit in, and try to impress 3 professors, not one, by doing well in their classes and also going and talking to them. You can discuss things from class with them or you can ask them stuff like what grad school to apply to, whether it's a good idea to get a higher degree, etc.

The "unlikely" part is not accurate. Only a few people are not fully funded, at least in my program, and I'm pretty sure it's the same in most programs. Funding is standard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook