Constant Angular Acceleration Question

In summary, Dario spins a salad spinner 20 times in 5.00 seconds and then it rotates 6.00 more times before coming to rest with constant angular acceleration. The angular distance traveled as it comes to rest is 1008 degrees and the angular acceleration is 936 rad/s^2. To find the final angular velocity, the equation of change in theta can be used with the initial data to solve for wfinal.
Paymemoney

Homework Statement

Dario, a prep cook at an Italian restaurant, spins a salad spinner 20.0 times in 5.00 seconds and then stops spinning it. The salad spinner rotates 6.00 more times before it comes to rest. Assume that the spinner slows down with constant angular acceleration.

a) Find the angular distance the salad spinner travels as it comes to rest

b) What is the angular acceleration of the salad spinner as it slows down?

Homework Equations

constant rotational equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ok, i found initially when the spinner is spinning 20 times in 5seconds to have a angular velocity of 1440 degrees. For the second part when it spins 6 more times, i calculated: [tex]\frac{6 * 360}{5}[/tex]

so angular distance is 1440-432 = 1008 degrees

b) To find angular acceleration i used the formula : [tex]\omega final^2 = \omega initial^2 + 2\alpha\theta [/tex]

[tex]432^2 = 1440^2 + 2\alpha * 1008[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = \frac{186624 - 2073600}{2016}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = 936 rad/s^2[/tex]

Can someone please check if this is correct.
P.S

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The angular velocity is equal to the change in theta divided by the change in time. You know that there is 20 revolutions on 5 seconds. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second so you must multiply 20(2pi) then divide by the time interval of 5 seconds. This will give you your initial angular velocity.

how would i find my final angular velocity?

You can use the equation of change in theta is equal to (1/2)(wfinal+winitial) times the change in time. Since we know the data at the initial point we can plug in the numbers which would be 20(2pi)=(1/2)(wfinal+[(20*2pi)/5])(5) then solve for wfinal

thanks i got the answer

1. What is constant angular acceleration?

Constant angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time in a consistent manner. It is usually measured in radians per second squared or degrees per second squared.

2. How is constant angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Constant angular acceleration refers to the change in an object's angular velocity, while linear acceleration refers to the change in an object's linear velocity. Angular acceleration involves rotational motion, while linear acceleration involves linear motion.

3. What factors affect constant angular acceleration?

The factors that affect constant angular acceleration include the mass of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the applied torque. The moment of inertia of the object also plays a role in determining the amount of angular acceleration.

4. How is constant angular acceleration calculated?

The formula for constant angular acceleration is α = (ωf - ωi)/t, where α is the angular acceleration, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval. It can also be calculated using the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the torque applied, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of constant angular acceleration?

Some examples of constant angular acceleration in everyday life include the motion of a spinning top, the rotation of a car tire, and the movement of a merry-go-round. It is also seen in the motion of a pendulum and the rotation of a ceiling fan.