Rotation w/constant angular acceleration

In summary, the flywheel in question completes 40 revolutions while slowing down from an initial angular speed of 1.5 rad/s to rest. Using the equation θf - θi = wit+1/2αt2, the time for it to come to rest is calculated to be 99.67 seconds, which is close to the answer given in the book. The angular acceleration is found to be -0.0048 rad/s2. To complete the first 20 of the 40 revolutions, it takes approximately 98 seconds. It is important to keep more digits than necessary during calculations to avoid rounding errors.
Ignitia

Homework Statement

A flywheel turns through 40 rev as it slows from an angular speed of 1.5 rad/s to a stop. (a) Assuming a constant angular acceleration, find the time for it to come to rest. (b) What is its angular acceleration? (c) How much time is required for it to complete the first 20 of the 40 revolutions?

Homework Equations

Figured (a) and (b) no problem. (a) =335s (round to 340s) and (b) = -0.0048rad/s2

40revs = 80π
20revs = 40π

The Attempt at a Solution

For (c) I went:

θf - θi = wit+1/2αt2
40π = 1.5t - 0.0024t2
0=-0.0024t2 + 1.5t + 40π

Plug them into the quadratic formula: t = (-1.5) - √(1.5 2 - 4(-.0024*-40π)) / (2(-.0024))

Calculator spits out t = 99.67s. The book says it's 98. It's close enough I want to write it off as correct, but I'd prefer if it could be double checked.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignitia said:
Calculator spits out t = 99.67s. The book says it's 98.
98 is nearer.
I expect your error comes from rounding off too soon. Always keep more digits than you intend to quote in the final answer. How many more is not always obvious. E.g. if you have a step that is equivalent to 100002-100001 then you need to keep 6 digits along the way to have just one digit at the end.

Likes Ignitia
I figured that might have been the reason, thanks. I just wanted to be sure my method was correct.

What is rotation with constant angular acceleration?

Rotation with constant angular acceleration refers to the circular motion of an object where the angular velocity, or rate of rotation, is changing at a constant rate. This means that the object is accelerating in its rotation, and the amount of change in angular velocity is the same over a given period of time.

What is the formula for calculating angular acceleration?

The formula for calculating angular acceleration is α = (ωf - ωi) / t, where α is the angular acceleration, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval over which the change in angular velocity occurs.

How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the radius of rotation. The linear acceleration at any point on the rotating object is equal to the angular acceleration multiplied by the radius of rotation at that point.

What is the difference between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. In other words, angular velocity measures how fast an object is rotating, while angular acceleration measures how quickly the rotation is changing.

How does friction affect rotation with constant angular acceleration?

Friction can affect rotation with constant angular acceleration by slowing down or speeding up the rotation, depending on the direction of the frictional force. If the frictional force is in the same direction as the rotation, it will decrease the angular velocity and thus decrease the angular acceleration. If the frictional force is in the opposite direction, it will increase the angular velocity and thus increase the angular acceleration.