Constant of integration in dy/dx = x(1-x)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
converting1
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
solve dy/dx = x(1-x)

I got y = (x^2)/2 - (x^3)/3 + C

however in the solutions they've gotten:

259y0kp.png


where did t come from?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It came when they integrated dt on the right hand side, 2 steps above where you marked the solution.
 
It looks to me like there is a typo in the problem. y disappeared! I think they meant the derivative to be dx/dt, not dy/dx. Your solution to dy/dx=x(1-x) is correct.
 
Dick said:
It looks to me like there is a typo in the problem. y disappeared! I think they meant the derivative to be dx/dt, not dy/dx. Your solution to dy/dx=x(1-x) is correct.

Yeah it definitely looks like the problem was supposed to be dx/dt