Constant solution and uniqueness of separable differential eq

In summary, the textbook explains that for a separable ODE, x'=h(t)g(x(t)), the only constant solution is x=k if x is a root of g. All other non-constant solutions are separated by the straight line x=k. This is done to distinguish between constant and non-constant solutions. The quoted sentence clarifies that a solution cannot cross or meet the line x=k if x(0)=1. The example of x'=2tx^3 and x(0)=1 shows that the only constant solution is x≡0, but the solution must be positive since x(0)=1>0.
mr.tea
Hi,
I am learning ODE and I have some problems that confuse me.
In the textbook I am reading, it explains that if we have a separable ODE: ##x'=h(t)g(x(t))##
then ##x=k## is the only constant solution iff ##x## is a root of ##g##.
Moreover, it says "all other non-constant solutions are separated by the straight line x=k".

First, why do we do this separation between finding constant and non-constant solutions?

Second, I don't understand the quoted sentence. why is that?

Third, there is an example of finding a solution to the initial value problem ##x'=2tx^3## and ##x(0)=1##. They say that the only constant solution is ##x \equiv 0##, and
"Therefore if ##x(t)## is a solution such that ##x(0)=1##, then, by uniqueness, ##x(t)## cannot assume the value 0 anywhere. Since ##x(0) =1 >0##, we infer that the solution is always positive."
But how can ##x \equiv 0## be a constant solution if the solution should satisfy ##x(0)=1##, and how they got that the solution should be positive?

I am really confused and need some help with this.

Thank you.

mr.tea said:
x=k is the only constant solution iff x is a root of g
Are you sure it says only? Clearly any root of g is a constant solution.
mr.tea said:
I don't understand the quoted sentence. why is that
Suppose x > k at some t. hg might be negative here, so as t increases x decreases. But as x approaches k, g(x) approaches zero, so the slope will level off. It can never reach k unless h goes to infinity.
mr.tea said:
But how can x≡0 be a constant solution if the solution should satisfy x(0)=1, and how they got that the solution should be positive
x identically zero is a solution to the differential equation without the initial value. From the foregoing, any other solution cannot cross or meet the line x=0. In particular, a solution such that x(0)=1 cannot anywhere go to x=0.

What is a constant solution in a separable differential equation?

A constant solution in a separable differential equation is a solution where the dependent variable remains constant regardless of the independent variable. In other words, the derivative of the dependent variable is equal to 0. This type of solution is often found in homogeneous differential equations.

What does it mean for a separable differential equation to have uniqueness?

A separable differential equation has uniqueness if there is only one solution that satisfies the initial conditions. In other words, there are no other solutions that could also satisfy the same initial conditions. This is important because it means we can confidently use the solution to make predictions and calculations.

How can I determine if a separable differential equation has a constant solution?

To determine if a separable differential equation has a constant solution, you can set the derivative of the dependent variable equal to 0 and solve for the independent variable. If the resulting equation is independent of the independent variable, then there is a constant solution. If not, then there is no constant solution.

Why is it important to check for constant solutions and uniqueness in separable differential equations?

Checking for constant solutions and uniqueness in separable differential equations is important because it helps us determine the general behavior and reliability of the solution. It also ensures that we have a unique solution that can be used for predictions and calculations.

Can a separable differential equation have multiple constant solutions?

Yes, a separable differential equation can have multiple constant solutions. This means that the dependent variable can remain constant at different values for different values of the independent variable. However, it is important to note that not all separable differential equations have constant solutions, and not all constant solutions are unique.