Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant velocity variable force?

1. Apr 21, 2009 #1
    Hello, i have an idea but i ran into a bit of a problem. I need two unidirectional output shafts rotating at unpredictable varying velocities (but predictable within a range) to be able to combine at one output shaft. I have come up with some ideas but they tend to be quite complicated... any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I don't even know if what you want is possible. At the least, I suspect that it would have to be some sort of fluid coupling.

4. Apr 21, 2009 #3
    The CVT (continuously variable transmission) in the Toyota Prius has two input shafts, one from the electric motor, and one from the gasoline engine, that combines the two in a planetary gear system into one output shaft. The transmission is not reversible, so the Prius can back up only with the electric motor.

5. Apr 21, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Isn't that a 'one or the other' situation, though? Can they actually both provide power at different speeds, at the same time, through the same tranny?

6. Apr 21, 2009 #5
    sweet :) thanks for the tip! I think i found something i can work with on youtube, totally awesome vid :D killer music lol. I was thinking along the lines of cones... I guess an idea like that cant be developed over the course of a car ride home tho haha.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Apr 22, 2009 #6
    Both the internal combustion engine (ICE) and the electric motor (there are actually two, MG1 and MG2) drive the car through the CVT (continuously variable transmission. The ICE drives the planetary support gear, MG1 drives the sun gear, and MG2 is coupled to the ring gear. Read
    http://prius.ecrostech.com/original/Understanding/ContinuouslyVariableTransmission.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook